GALLERY: Claydon finds his shooting boots as Robins move clear of drop zone
- Credit: Archant
Football Ely City 2 Stanway Rovers 1
In-form Ely City striker Andrew Claydon scored another two goals on Saturday to help his side to a crucial win over Stanway.
After enduring a tough season up front, Claydon has come good at the right time for the Robins, netting four goals in his last two outings to steer Ely clear of the relegation zone.
Joint boss Ben Lawrence hailed the veteran front man and said his change in fortune may even be down to his footwear.
He said: “Andy bought a pair of new boots for the Wivenhoe game and he has now scored four in two games so maybe that has done the trick for him.
You may also want to watch:
“It was a bit scrappy against Stanway but we got the job done and they didn’t really look like scoring until they pulled one back about seven minutes from the end.
“It has been very tight at the bottom this season so I don’t want to say we are safe yet because you never know with football.”
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 5 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 6 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 7 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 8 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 9 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 10 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
Ely sit 15th in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division and are eight points clear of the drop zone with four games remaining. They travel to Felixstowe and Walton on Saturday.