GALLERY: Claydon finds his shooting boots as Robins move clear of drop zone
- Credit: Archant
Football Ely City 2 Stanway Rovers 1
In-form Ely City striker Andrew Claydon scored another two goals on Saturday to help his side to a crucial win over Stanway.
After enduring a tough season up front, Claydon has come good at the right time for the Robins, netting four goals in his last two outings to steer Ely clear of the relegation zone.
Joint boss Ben Lawrence hailed the veteran front man and said his change in fortune may even be down to his footwear.
He said: “Andy bought a pair of new boots for the Wivenhoe game and he has now scored four in two games so maybe that has done the trick for him.
“It was a bit scrappy against Stanway but we got the job done and they didn’t really look like scoring until they pulled one back about seven minutes from the end.
“It has been very tight at the bottom this season so I don’t want to say we are safe yet because you never know with football.”
- 1 Woman summonsed in connection with crash that killed five-month-old Louis Thorold
- 2 Community group ‘hoping for success’ with opening of new cinema
- 3 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 4 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 5 Academy shake-up as one principal goes and another arrives
- 6 No balloons plea to death crash motorcycle tribute convoy
- 7 Four doctors and a nurse off sick with Covid-19 at Fenland surgeries
- 8 Progress on introducing new 20mph speed limits to be discussed
- 9 Baby murder accused 'didn't say much' after life support withdrawn
- 10 War veteran, Freddie, marks 100th birthday
Ely sit 15th in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division and are eight points clear of the drop zone with four games remaining. They travel to Felixstowe and Walton on Saturday.