GALLERY: Claydon finds his shooting boots as Robins move clear of drop zone
- Credit: Archant
Football Ely City 2 Stanway Rovers 1
In-form Ely City striker Andrew Claydon scored another two goals on Saturday to help his side to a crucial win over Stanway.
After enduring a tough season up front, Claydon has come good at the right time for the Robins, netting four goals in his last two outings to steer Ely clear of the relegation zone.
Joint boss Ben Lawrence hailed the veteran front man and said his change in fortune may even be down to his footwear.
He said: “Andy bought a pair of new boots for the Wivenhoe game and he has now scored four in two games so maybe that has done the trick for him.
“It was a bit scrappy against Stanway but we got the job done and they didn’t really look like scoring until they pulled one back about seven minutes from the end.
“It has been very tight at the bottom this season so I don’t want to say we are safe yet because you never know with football.”
- 1 Fire crews called to car fire on railway line
- 2 Huntingdon and Peterborough hospitals bring back masks after rise in Covid numbers
- 3 Car rolled in crash on A14
- 4 Councillor quits as voters get set for two Ely by-elections
- 5 MP officially begins new era for major UK supplier
- 6 Man jealous of ex-wife's new relationship burnt down house
- 7 Caravan site wants 10 new lodges to cope with demand
- 8 Drink-driver 'almost hit police car' in crash
- 9 Threat to cancel or 'indefinitely pause' £450m Ely rail upgrade
- 10 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
Ely sit 15th in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division and are eight points clear of the drop zone with four games remaining. They travel to Felixstowe and Walton on Saturday.