Gallery: Bottom of the table, St Neots beat Tigers
St Neots II 29 Ely Tigers II 7 ELY travelled to St Neots in windswept conditions on Saturday to play their third league game of the season, and with a good squad of 19 players, hopes were high for victory against bottom of the table St Neots. It was cle
St Neots II 29 Ely Tigers II 7
ELY travelled to St Neots in windswept conditions on Saturday to play their third league game of the season, and with a good squad of 19 players, hopes were high for victory against bottom of the table St Neots.
It was clear from the kick off that the visitors were well prepared and determined to make a game of it, however.
From the start they applied pressure to the back of the Ely scrum and around the fringes of the rucks and mauls, and after 15 minutes this led to a first try for St Neots.
You may also want to watch:
The conversion was missed, but Ely's subsequent frustration led to some turnover balls and St Neots broke away to score again, making it 0-12.
Another try followed before half time, despite some excellent tackling from the likes of Jimmy Gilbourne and the continued dominance of the forwards in the scrums, and Ely went in at half time 17 points down.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 5 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 6 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 7 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 10 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
In the second half they stuck to the task despite St Neots scoring two more tries and, with 15 minutes to go, contributed their first points with a Jez Latham try converted by Pete Vousden. These were Ely's only points, however, and they lost 7-29.