Frustrating week clips Robins’ wings
ELY City’s eagerly anticipated Cambs Invitation Cup quarter-final clash against Mildenhall was postponed for a second time on Tuesday.
Torrential rain throughout the day left the pitch waterlogged and it was decided to call the match off following a midday pitch inspection.
The tie has been rescheduled for 7.45pm on Tuesday, January 31, at Recreation Way.
The postponement came as more frustration for the Robins after they were held to a 1-1 draw by promotion hopefuls Dereham Town at the Unwin Ground on Saturday.
Their woes were compounded with the news that league leaders Wroxham had been held to a 3-3 draw by struggling Felixstowe & Walton, with an opportunity to cut the lead to five points missed.
You may also want to watch:
Striker Richard Chadwick provided Ely with a deserved lead after 28 minutes as he diverted Nick Impey’s shot past the visiting keeper.
Their advantage lasted less than 10 minutes though, as Dereham’s Gary Starling lashed home from the penalty spot after Ben Lawrence was adjudged to have tripped a visiting attacker.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 10 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
Former Soham and Mildenhall striker Richard Gammon made his debut for Ely by coming off the bench in the last 20 minutes, but he couldn’t find the goal to secure Ely the extra two points.
Alan Alsop’s men drop to third position in the Ridgeons Premier Division, two points behind Brantham Athletic, albeit with a game in hand.
They will be hoping to recapture their winning form again when they travel to Diss Town on Saturday.