Free bowls session in Ely to celebrate Olympic ties
- Credit: Archant
A FREE bowls session is being held to celebrate the post 2012 Olympics investment given to the City of Ely Bowls Club.
The club, based in Nutholt Lane, has undergone a major refurbishment programme thanks to £50,000 of National Lottery funding it received from Sport England’s Inspired Facilities Olympic and Paralympic Fund.
A new roof has been provided over the main bowls area ensuring the security of the club and allowing considerable potential savings on heating.
Club chairman, Brian Roberts, said: “The improvements to the club will make a significant difference to our membership and will provide a warm and comfortable environment for the enjoyment of our sport. We believe that our facility will now attract many new members.”
To celebrate the club’s part in the legacy of the games, local people are being invited to a free taster session from 7pm on August 21 to try out the sport.
You may also want to watch:
Sport England’s chairman, Nick Bitel, said: “A year on from the Olympics, this National Lottery investment is helping us deliver a lasting sporting legacy in Cambridgeshire.”
The club was one of more than 300 projects across England that received lottery investment from the fourth round of the Inspired Facilities fund and one of more than 1,300 to benefit overall.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 8 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 9 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
- 10 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
Many more clubs could benefit from the hugely popular fund, after Sport England announced that it was extending Inspired Facilities until 2017, with an additional £40 million of funding to invest.
Bids will be accepted for the next round of funding from October 21. You can find out more at: www.sportengland.org/inspiredfacilities
INFORMATION: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to register or simply visit the club on the evening.