Free bowls session in Ely to celebrate Olympic ties
- Credit: Archant
A FREE bowls session is being held to celebrate the post 2012 Olympics investment given to the City of Ely Bowls Club.
The club, based in Nutholt Lane, has undergone a major refurbishment programme thanks to £50,000 of National Lottery funding it received from Sport England’s Inspired Facilities Olympic and Paralympic Fund.
A new roof has been provided over the main bowls area ensuring the security of the club and allowing considerable potential savings on heating.
Club chairman, Brian Roberts, said: “The improvements to the club will make a significant difference to our membership and will provide a warm and comfortable environment for the enjoyment of our sport. We believe that our facility will now attract many new members.”
To celebrate the club’s part in the legacy of the games, local people are being invited to a free taster session from 7pm on August 21 to try out the sport.
Sport England’s chairman, Nick Bitel, said: “A year on from the Olympics, this National Lottery investment is helping us deliver a lasting sporting legacy in Cambridgeshire.”
The club was one of more than 300 projects across England that received lottery investment from the fourth round of the Inspired Facilities fund and one of more than 1,300 to benefit overall.
- 1 Motorcyclist in serious condition after A142 tractor crash
- 2 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 3 Family banned from turning garage into dining room
- 4 'He saved my life' - Karolina thanks optician after spotting unknown brain tumour
- 5 Surgery’s renovation project takes next step forward
- 6 Cricket club's bid to be 'loud and proud' thanks to new ground
- 7 Two suffer serious injuries after A10 crash
- 8 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 9 Alisa, 17, on how refillable candle business went viral in just five months
- 10 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
Many more clubs could benefit from the hugely popular fund, after Sport England announced that it was extending Inspired Facilities until 2017, with an additional £40 million of funding to invest.
Bids will be accepted for the next round of funding from October 21. You can find out more at: www.sportengland.org/inspiredfacilities
INFORMATION: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to register or simply visit the club on the evening.