Fred finds form in Ely Table Tennis Club’s annual tournament
- Credit: Archant
Fred Laband and Michal Turecki sealed silverware as Ely Table Tennis Club’s annual summer tournament returned this month - and was dubbed one of the best yet.
Laband triumphed in the handicap singles event after a hotly-contested final against invited guest, Michael Klein.
Karen Byford and Andrew Blake then teamed up to take the honours in the doubles, overpowering the father-and-daughter duo of Rob Pownall and Hollie Pownall-Anderson in an entertaining final.
Turecki scooped the Andrew Maguire Player of the Tournament prize for his consistent performances in both the singles and doubles tournament.
Simon Braschi, Ely Table Tennis Club chairman, said: “This was one of the best Ely tournaments to date. Thank you to the organisers and players and special thanks are due to Karen Byford and Rob Pownall for organising the event and ensuring its smooth running.”
You may also want to watch:
The club are always looking for experienced players to join. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 8 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 9 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 10 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity