Fragile defence costs Greens

THERE were goals-a-plenty for Soham in their first league fixtures of the new season but fragility in defence saw them come away with just a point from two games.

The Greens hit five goals in their opening matches against Waltham Forest and Potters Bar Town but, crucially, conceded six, a fact that meant they only had a draw to show for their efforts.

Andy Furnell’s men sit 13th in the Ryman League Division One North, with a trip to Essex-based Romford Town to come at the weekend.

Midfielder David Cobb handed Soham an early lead at Potters Bar on Tuesday night, and the visitors went perilously close to making it 2-0 after Steve Bugg struck a post.

Though Potters Bar equalised midway through the half, it was Soham who would go into the break in the lead as Matt Robinson smashed home from range.

Steve Bugg put Soham 3-1 ahead shortly before the hour mark but incessant pressure from the home side in the last quarter of the match eventually told as they netted twice in the final 10 minutes to deny Furnell his first win as Soham boss.

On Saturday, a late fightback from Soham Town Rangers was not enough to earn them a point in their season opening match against Waltham Forest.

Most Read

Midfield battler Rogan McGeorge produced the first effort of the match after seven minutes as he fired narrowly over from 25 yards. Things quickly soured for Furnell’s men though, as Waltham were awarded a penalty after 15 minutes which was coolly dispatched past debutant goalkeeper Simon Allen.

Five minutes later and the score was doubled as Gazmond Duati found space and time enough to strike low across the goalkeeper and into the far corner.

Soham frontman Steve Bugg went close to pulling a quick goal back for the home side only for his headed effort to be cleared off the line and, at the other end, Allen did well to deny a Waltham striker when through one-on-one.

The start of the second half was a placid affair which only really came to life on the hour mark after David Cobb’s excellent run yielded a shot on goal that slipped just wide.

Allen was once again called upon to make an excellent save at close quarters as he turned away a shot that squeezed through a gaggle of bodies in the Soham box.

Bugg had his head in his hands once again in the 70th minute as he saw his effort cannon off the post after Flanz had flicked on a corner and the home side were dealt a decisive blow seconds later as Josh Bonnett smashed home a low cross to make it 3-0.

Player manager Furnell restored some hope for the Greens with 15 minutes remaining as he nodded home an excellent flighted ball from Cobb and the home side’s hopes were boosted yet further five minutes from time as Bonnett was given his marching orders for kicking out at Martin Bromwich.

Within minutes Soham had scored again after Cobb volleyed home from range after a free-kick was only part cleared by the visitors.

Despite some nervous moments late on for Waltham, they managed to hold out for the win.