Four-goal Robins up to eighth with Haverhill win
ELY City made it five league wins from six games with victory over Haverhill at the Unwin Ground on Tuesday.
Ely City 4
Haverhill Rovers 3
Goals from Adam Murray, Austen Diaper, Richard Chadwick and Luke Parkinson proved too much for a spirited Rovers side, adding another win to Ely’s excellent start to the league season.
The Robins moved up to eighth in the Ridgeons Premier League, with a trip to CRC to come on Wednesday.
You may also want to watch:
Boss Alan Alsop said: “It was a good win in the end in what was a hard fought game. They came with the impression that they were going to roll us over but they didn’t and I think we just about deserved it in the end.”
Adam Dalby crossed from Murray to head home early in the piece as Ely moved into the lead, though Haverhill were back on terms soon after in a lively start.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 8 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
A long throw from Ben Lawrence caused havoc in the Haverhill box, with the ball eventually falling for Diaper to fire home from close range for the Robins. Striker Chadwick then made it 3-1 with a well taken finish before Haverhill forced their way back into the match with a goal after the break.
The matched turned on a penalty decision however, as Chadwick was brought down in the box and Parkinson stepped up to drill home the penalty.
Rovers struck late on to make for a nervous final 10 minutes for Ely, but the defence held firm to claim all three points.