Fordham rise to fourth spot

SATURDAY FOOTBALL KERSHAW PREMIER DIVISION FORDHAM moved up to fourth in the table by coming from two down to win by the odd goal in seven against deposed champions Sawston United. They (Sawston) haven t been going well lately, said Fordham secretary Jo



FORDHAM moved up to fourth in the table by coming from two down to win by the odd goal in seven against deposed champions Sawston United.

"They (Sawston) haven't been going well lately," said Fordham secretary John Pryke afterwards, "but are still an intimidating side. I can't praise our lads highly enough."

Sawston led after just five minutes, and were on top when John Sands weaved past three defenders on the break and set up Daren Pryke for the equaliser.

The hosts went back in front, however, and scored again soon after for a 3-1 lead.

Most Read

Fordham were briefly reduced to 10 men by Pryke's injury, but he returned to the fray just before the interval and immediately struck with a 25-yard volley.

The visitors looked in control after the break, and eventually got back on terms when Sands found the net to make it 3-3.

Dan Langley then put Fordham in front for the first time after efforts from Pryke and Sands had been blocked, and they held out comfortably in the face of Sawston's predictable onslaught.

Littleport Town looked a shade 'ring-rusty' as they entertained Histon A in the same section, going down 3-2.

They had Nigel Smith missing and fielded several players who were carrying knocks, and soon found themselves two goals adrift against their youthful opponents.

Chris Lupson pulled one back before the break when the ball fell at his feet following a free-kick, and David Cullum jnr equalised with a fine left-foot shot from 20 yards.

'Port then missed several opportunities to clinch the points, and they were made to pay in the closing stages as Histon grabbed a sensational winner.


ELY City Reserves finally went to the top of the table with a 2-0 midweek defeat of West Wratting, and they maintained their one-point advantage over Hundon by winning 3-0 at the expense of Brampton on Saturday.

Richard Dewsbury and David Cornwell were on target in the match against Wratting, and Cornwell's goal on Saturday was sandwiched by efforts from Andrew Lee and Gareth Arter as Brampton proved no match for in-form City.

Soham Town Rangers Reserves meanwhile, fell 13 points adrift of the leaders after a goalless draw against local rivals Mildenhall Town Reserves.


IT WAS a day to forget for the two local sides in Senior Division B, who both lost 3-0 away from home.

Soham United - predictably perhaps - went down against top-of-the-table Comberton United, and Haddenham Rovers - recently on top of their game - lost by the same scoreline at Debden.

"We missed a lot of chances," said Rovers boss Andy Markwell afterwards, "and they took theirs."


LITTLEPORT Town Reserves had their promotion prospects put into sharp perspective on Saturday as they crashed 6-2 against Huntingdon United RGE.

Richard Layn and Mark Talbot were on target for the visitors, but the hosts - who remain unbeaten - ran out convincing winners on the day.


STRETHAM Hotspurs dealt a blow to the promotion aspirations of Sutton United, winning Saturday's derby encounter 4-2.

Teenager Kevin Bedingfield scored for Sutton after the visitors had established a three-goal lead, and Peter Wallace reduced the deficit to a single goal after the break.

Matthew Keys then struck the post as United threatened to take control, but Stretham were resilient and scored a fourth goal to secure the points.

Second-placed Witchford '96 met top-of-the-table Longstanton for the second week in a row, but after winning the first encounter 3-0 Witchford came off decidedly second best in Saturday's match, going down 7-2 at home.

Ely City A meanwhile entertained Wisbech St Mary, eventually settling for a share of the spoils after establishing a 3-0 lead at one stage.

Matt Brodie latched on to a poor back pass to score his 10th goal of the season, and then provided the pass from which Stuart Seekings added a second.

Steve Pollard made the interval score 3-0 by converting a spot kick that he won himself, but Wisbech pulled one back at the start of the second half and Luke Fretwell received his marching orders for handling a goal-bound shot.

The resulting penalty was dispatched, and the visitors struck again before the final whistle to salvage an unlikely 3-3 draw.

Isleham United "failed to arrive" for the match at Over Sports Reserves, but a severe shortage of players meant that they were unable to fulfil that fixture at the expense of the Reserve match against March Rangers.

That 5B game was also called off because the Cambs FA insisted that the first team fixture - away from home - took priority over the Reserve team match.


THE Vine are still unbeaten and remain on the heels of the leaders in fourth place after a 2-0 victory at Brampton Reserves.

The hosts missed several first half opportunities, and found The Vine goalkeeper Scott Connop a tough nut to crack.

The visitors pushed central defender James Angier into midfield towards the finish and Angier - their eventual man-of-the-match - broke the deadlock following Karl Spencer's break with nine minutes remaining.

Ben Hatton then made the points safe with a brilliant 25-yard free kick that went just inside the foot of the post.

Fordham Reserves beat Little Downham Swifts 2-1 thanks to goals from Clive Boucheron and Ian Butterworth, but Soham United Reserves surrendered a three-goal advantage at home to Somersham Town Reserves.

Stuart Freeland, Rob Averston and Neil Brosnan gave them a seemingly unassailable lead, but Somersham introduced former United player Mark Allen in the final 20 minutes and he effectively transformed the game.

His first touch produced a goal, and he then set up two for his colleagues as Somersham recovered to make the final score 3-3.


HADDENHAM Rovers Reserves won for the second week in a row as they came through 4-2 at the expense of Ely Crusaders.

Jamie Thompson's opener was consolidated by an own goal, and James Tasker's free-kick made it 3-1 after Crusaders had pulled one back.

Leading scorer Phil Harle then extended the lead to 4-1 before the visitors pulled back a late consolation.

"I'm confident we've turned the corner," said Rovers manager Neil Smith afterwards.


PROMOTION-chasing Littleport Town A could have gone top with a big win against struggling Coldham United, but they were held to a 1-1 draw.

The Vine Reserves also expected to win, but looked complacent as they were held 0-0 by bottom-of-the-table Dataracks Elite.

Burwell Swifts Reserves trailed early on at Little Downham Swifts Reserves, but recovered to take the points in convincing style.

Dave Fordham - in his first start since a September injury - stabbed home the equaliser after Downham failed to clear John Irvine's near post corner, and midfield lynch-pin Lee Hobbs set up Tom Thatcher for Burwell's second.

Thatcher intercepted a back pass to extend the lead before half-time, and Fordham went on to complete his hat-trick with expert finishing before Downham contributed another goal to the 5-2 scoreline.


BURWELL Swifts were dumped out of the competition by a hungrier Bassingbourn outfit, with a controversial penalty award contributing to their 4-0 defeat.

Pymoor's clash with Cambridge University Press A was postponed because their pitch was unfit, and has been re-scheduled for this Saturday (10th) instead.