Fordham March Boldly On
FORDHAM S revival continued at the weekend as they clinched an emphatic 108 run win at Barnack. Put in to bat first, Fordham battled admirably but save for a cultured 56 from number four Darren Theobold, his second this term, the innings was a tale of sol
FORDHAM'S revival continued at the weekend as they clinched an emphatic 108 run win at Barnack.
Put in to bat first, Fordham battled admirably but save for a cultured 56 from number four Darren Theobold, his second this term, the innings was a tale of solid starts which went unconverted.
That said, scores of 28 from Mark Abbott and 31 from Graham Arnold made certain that Theobold was well supported as the home side reached 190.
With the game in the balance Fordham needed a strong performance from their bowlers, and they got just that as both Clinton Cornwell and Charles Forden took two early wickets a piece to reduce the visitors to 24-4.
You may also want to watch:
With their dangerous top order removed, Barnack beagn to collapse as Fordham's bowling attack struck blow after blow, reducing the visitors to 82 all out.
Forden took the plaudits on the day with stunning figures of 5-20, an impossible average of just four. Ian Jelleyman also impressed with a fine return of 3-23.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 9 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 10 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
Fordham 2XI meanwhile, didn't fare so well as they were comfortably beaten by 45 runs at Newmarket.
The home side made 173-6 from their 40 overs largely thanks to the efforts of G. Godfrey who smashed 95 after being given a lifeline early in his innings. Ryan Houghton, who came away with 3-34, was the pick of the Fordham attack.
The visitors stuttered in reply and regular wickets saw that their batsmen were seldom able to settle at the crease.
Matt Foulds (30) and Craig Theobold (33) acquitted themselves admirably but it wasn't to be.
Fordham's third team picked up an excellent four wicket win at Waterbeach.
The hosts made 125 with Sean Brighty 3-19, Nick Clark 3-12 and Carl Houghton 2-17 taking the wickets.
Chris Foulds (38) and Simon Murfitt (21) put on 40 for the first wicket before Nick Poole (29 no) led the team to victory.