Fordham battle to earn draw in season opener
- Credit: Archant
Cricket FORDHAM began life in Cambs and Hunts Premier Division 2 with a battling draw at Eaton Socon on Saturday.
Graham Arnold’s side looked to be in dire straits at 97-5 in pursuit of 231 but a gutsy tail-end fightback saw them hold out for a draw and a share of the points.
The result leaves them in seventh place in the league, with the visit of Abingdon to come on Saturday as the fledgling season begins to gather momentum.
After winning the toss, Eaton Socon opted to bat first and made 230-5 from their 48 overs, with six batsmen registering scores in excess of 20. Joe Dawbarn top scored for the hosts with 51. Mark Barton claimed 2-39 for Fordham with the ball while Arnold took 2-76.
Super knocks from Ian Baldwin (59) and Joel Gilmour (40) at the top of the order for Fordham looked to have put them in a commanding position before a middle-order collapse put Socon in the driving seat.
You may also want to watch:
Staring down the barrel, a last wicket stand of 31 between Barton and Clinton Cornwell enabled Fordham to come away from their opening match with a draw.
Fordham’s innings closed on 170-9.
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 5 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 6 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 7 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 8 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 9 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 10 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'