Robins lose out in derby

PUBLISHED: 10:39 07 October 2010

Ely City FC memorial match

Ely City FC memorial match


ELY City were left ruing missed opportunities as they suffered defeat at the hands of rivals Wisbech on Tuesday night.

Ely City 2

Wisbech Town 3

ELY City were left ruing missed opportunities as they suffered defeat at the hands of rivals Wisbech on Tuesday night.

Despite taking an early lead and creating a wealth of decent opportunities, the Robins failed to make their dominance pay and were ultimately undone by a ruthless Wisbech side lead by former Soham ace Paul Jones, who netted a brace.

The loss sees Alan Alsop’s men slip into the bottom half of the table for the first time this season.

After settling quickly into their stride, Ely began to turn the screw on the visiting defence and their efforts were soon rewarded as Nick Impey crossed perfectly for Andy Pettit to nod past Lea Jordan.

The Fenman were slow to respond to the setback and they spent much of the half on the back foot as their attempts to play in behind Ely were snuffed out.

Impey could have extended the Robins lead just shy of the half-hour mark when well placed but his headed bounced tamely into the hands of the goalkeeper. Pettit went closer still for the Robins minutes later after being sent clear by Robbie Mason but his angled drive was tipped on to the bar by Jordan in what proved to be a turning point in the match.

With just two minutes to play in the half, Wisbech registered their first effort at the Ely goal and it proved a timely one as former Green Jones, popped up at the back post to scramble home from a Matt Lunn cross.

A series of tactical changes by Wisbech at the break brought them back into the game and their front pair of Turner and Furnell were finally afforded the time and space in which to hold possession.

Their reward came just four minutes in to the half as Lewis Thompson lashed home from outside the box afetr racing past the make-shift Ely centre back pairing of Lee Dixon and Adam Dalby.

Though Mason restored parity for Ely less than 10 minutes later with a shot from range, it was Wisbech who would have the final say as Thompson crossed for a lurking Jones who eluded his marker to volley home the winner just after the hour mark.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ely Standard