Football: That’s four in a row!
RIDGEONS PREMIER DIVISION Soham Town Rangers 1 Clacton Town 0 SOHAM S run of good form continued with their fourth win in a row – but they made hard work of it against basement boys Clacton. Soham fans could have rightfully expected a goal glut after Ia
Soham Town Rangers 1
Clacton Town 0
SOHAM'S run of good form continued with their fourth win in a row - but they made hard work of it against basement boys Clacton.
Soham fans could have rightfully expected a goal glut after Ian Benjamin's side scored 16 goals in their last three games, but in any event they had to wait for Steve Bugg to make the decisive contribution five minutes from time.
- 1 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 2 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 3 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 4 Firm announces acquisition of independent planning firm
- 5 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 6 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 7 Rudolph the red phone box reindeer arrives in village
- 8 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
- 9 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 10 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
Bugg latched onto Matt Robinson's through-ball to hammer home a right-footed shot from just inside the box, to give Soham a win which puts them in ninth place in the Premier Division.
"I thought it was going to be a hard game," said Benjamin. "Clacton will get their points or a win somewhere along the line, their goalkeeper was first class."
Benjmamin pointed to the state of the pitch as a reason why his team did not score more goals. "Our pitch is a great leveller at the moment," he said. "We showed what we could do against Kirkley [Soham won 6-0], where we put on a good performance on a flat pitch."
Soham have been drawn at home to local rivals Mildenhall in the Cambs Invitation Cup semi-finals. The match will be played on Tuesday.