Football: Survival is still on

LOCAL FOOTBALL ROUND-UP DIVISION 1B Littleport Town Reserves – bottom of the table despite their success in recent cup competitions – are now only seven points from safety after a 4-2 win at Buckden. Paul Starling, Clive Lee, Chris Wilson and Scott Fulle



Littleport Town Reserves - bottom of the table despite their success in recent cup competitions - are now only seven points from safety after a 4-2 win at Buckden.

Paul Starling, Clive Lee, Chris Wilson and Scott Fuller were the players on target as 'Port -who ought to ensure their safety in this section next season - ran out convincing winners.


Fordham trailed 2-0 in their match against fellow strugglers Somersham Town, but a storming second half performance saw them earn a share of the spoils.

Most Read

"We still had to be very, very patient," said Fordham correspondent John Pryke after the match, but his side reduced the deficit when Ben Howe latched on to a pass from Daren Pryke with 20 minutes remaining.

Howe was then brought down in the penalty area and Dan Langley made it 2-2 from the spot, but Fordham had to survive late pressure from the home side in order to secure a point.


Ely Crusaders gave one of their best performances of the season to overcome the challenge of local rivals Soham United.

They established a second minute lead when Ben Fuller scored from the narrowest of angles, and went further in front when Steve Dalby's attempted clearance went through the hands of his own goalkeeper.

Soham did their best to get back into contention after the break, but with less than a minute remaining Fuller broke away to make the final score 3-0.


Sutton United waved their faint promotion hopes goodbye after suffering a 4-3 defeat at home to St Ives Town Reserves.

The visitors adapted well to the windy conditions, and despite goals from Will Ludbrooke (2) and Matthew Keys it was St Ives who had a goal to spare at the final whistle.

Stretham Hotspurs returned to winning ways with a 3-1 success at Over Sports Reserves.

Captain John Lewis scored twice midway through the first half, and Simon Rudnicki made it 3-0 from the penalty spot before the hosts managed a consolation goal two minutes from time.

Isleham United entertained Ely City A in the same section, but neither side could manage to break the deadlock in what proved to be a very dull affair.


Promotion-chasing Witchford '96 surprisingly lost 3-0 at home to Cottenham United A in this section, but their only saving grace was the fact that fellow contenders Newmarket White Lion surrendered their unbeaten league record in the home clash with Brampton Reserves.

Little Downham Swifts were no match for leaders Wisbech St Mary as they went down 6-1 at home, but Fordham Reserves managed to come from two goals down to take the points at home to Huntingdon United RGE Reserves.

Fordham looked dead and buried at 2-0 down, but braces a-piece from John Sands and Scott Day saw the tide turn in favour of the home side.


Pymoor FC moved within a point of the top two by winning 2-1 at Haddenham Rovers Reserves on Saturday.

Greg Saberton fired them in front before limping off with a hamstring injury after just 10 minutes, and 'Pip' Ball added a second goal before Haddenham managed to pull one back.

The same scoreline saw Mepal Sports go down at home to Barton Mills Reserves, but Sutton United Reserves won 2-1 at Willingham Reserves after a spirited performance.

Richard Martin missed a re-taken penalty, but Peter Wallace put the visitors 1-0 up before half-time.

Warren Dennis doubled Sutton's advantage midway through the second half after latching on to Martin's through ball, but Willingham pulled a goal back with 15 minutes remaining and pressured Sutton hard for the equaliser.

Ely Crusaders' new signing Ian Starling was on the scoresheet as his side lost 3-1 at Swavesey Institute Reserves, and Burwell Swifts returned to winning ways with a 4-1 success at Wicken Amateurs.

Ollie Williams finished off a Ben Hubbard cross to put the visitors in front, and Tom Thatcher - a former Wicken player - made it 2-0 with a sensational left-foot half-volley from 25 yards.

Wicken pulled one back before half-time, but Ollie Williams restored Burwell's two-goal advantage with a header and Hubbard wrapped things up with a close range effort in the closing stages.


Isleham United's match at March Rangers was abandoned after the visitors saw two players seriously injured either side of the interval.

Steven Goff was carried off with an ankle injury five minutes before half-time, and Stuart Freeland departed with a dislocated shoulder almost as soon as the second half had got underway.

Isleham - understandably perhaps - were not prepared to continue, but they may find themselves in trouble with the authorities after making that decision.

Burwell Swifts Reserves won by the only goal of the game at Littleport Town A, but it was a game they should have won much more convincingly.

They broke the deadlock when Gavin Jones converted a Carl Saxby pass just before the hour-mark, but 'Port changed their tactics and pressed hard for the equaliser in the time remaining.

Littleport were awarded a penalty with five minutes on the watch, but Burwell goalkeeper Pete Brown saved the effort and Steve King reacted quickest to clear from the rebound.

Little Downham Swifts Reserves were in action at The Vine Reserves, but they went down 3-0 in a bottom-of-the-table encounter.