Football savvy Ely student returns from six-week trial at Norwich City Football Club after working ‘tremendously hard’
- Credit: Submitted
A Bishop Laney Sixth Form student has attended a six-week trial with Norwich City Football Club.
Aaron Smith, who has previously played for Cambridgeshire County under 18s squad and Mildenhall First Team, was part of a regional development programme.
A spokesman said: “Aaron has worked tremendously hard at his game this term showing outstanding fitness levels and a superb attitude to go alongside the technical ability he has.
“He is the first player from our scheme to gain a trial in the two and a half years we have been running.
“During his trial, Aaron has gone on to play for both the clubs Under 18 side and Under 23’s competing against sides such as West Ham, Arsenal and Watford.”
The club hopes Aaron’s story serves as a source of inspiration for Norwich FC’s current and future players.
Pip Davis, football development officer for Bishop Laney, said: “Myself and all our coaches are delighted for Aaron.
- 1 First visit not 'a flying success' but pub deserves second chance
- 2 Sanctuary Housing criticised over empty homes in Ely
- 3 Man facing eviction fears 'absolute disaster' despite council help
- 4 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
- 5 Woman who twice ignored 'no fly tipping' signs faces two fines
- 6 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 7 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 8 'Cuckooing' drug dealer caught with cocaine to the value of £3,670
- 9 Army assault course brought back to former glory at Waterbeach Barracks
- 10 Lorna’s successful plea to remove £3 shower charge for disabled visitors to The Hive
“He is a talented player with a fantastic attitude to the game, this is a result of the hard work he puts in since joining the RDP at our Ely Player Development Centre as a 14 year old.”