Football Round-up With Steve Green

JUNIOR FOOTBALL DIVISION 4B BURWELL Swifts secured promotion by defeating Cottenham United B last week, and then clinched the title itself with victory over Exning Athletic. The midweek win against Cottenham was gained despite a disjointed performance, wi



BURWELL Swifts secured promotion by defeating Cottenham United B last week, and then clinched the title itself with victory over Exning Athletic.

The midweek win against Cottenham was gained despite a disjointed performance, with four late goals eventually settling the match in Burwell's favour.

Alan Nash gave them a 10th minute lead when his cross-shot from the right wing went in off the far post, but the visitors equalised before half-time, having created several chances to score.

Nash fired underneath the goalkeeper to restore Burwell's lead at the start of the second half however, and Jake Drake made it 3-1 after chasing down a long ball.

Most Read

Cottenham reduced the deficit to a single goal with 20 minutes remaining, but Drake easily converted a Nash pass from the bye-line to ease the home side's nerves.

Substitute Kevin Driver then thumped in a header off the underside of the bar within minutes of coming on, puncturing the ball in the process!

Carl Saxby then moved up front, immediately causing problems with his pace and scoring the last two goals.

He lobbed home number six after being released by Nathan Hull, and then rolled the ball into an empty net to make the final score 7-2.

On Saturday they were crowned champions, courtesy of their nearest pursuers - Hemingfords United A and Milton A - dropping points against The Vine Reserves and Wicken Amateurs respectively.

Drake, Driver, Hull and Nash were the players on target for Swifts in a 4-1 win.

Goals from Dave Fisher and leading scorer Justin Challis lifted The Vine Reserves out of the bottom two as the team ended a run of five games without a goal in the 2-2 home draw with second-placed Hemingfords.

Wicken Amateurs meanwhile had to win at Milton A to keep their faint promotion hopes alive, but could only draw 1-1.


THE Premier Division title race now rests between current leaders Hundon, Waterbeach and Great Shelford after Ely City Reserves lost at home to the second and third-placed teams in successive games.

Ely dominated the midweek clash with Waterbeach, but conceded the only goal of the game midway through the second half.

It was much the same story against Shelford, with David Harvey cancelling out the early deficit before the visitors took the points with a second-half penalty following a foul by goalkeeper Leigh Follen.

Littleport Town meanwhile shared six goals and the points with Cottenham United.


SOHAM Town Rangers Reserves went down 2-0 at Girton United.


LITTLEPORT Town Reserves lost 6-1 at championship-chasing Cherry Hinton, whilst Soham United went down by the only goal of the game at home to Outwell Swifts.


ELY City A made it six wins in a row - with only one goal conceded - as they won 2-0 at Longstanton and then 3-0 at home to Buckden, but still look set to miss out on second place.

That position seems booked for Cottenham United Reserves, who have fared even better by winning their last eight games, scoring 30 and conceding just one in the process.


SUTTON United won their penultimate game, but will have since prayed that second-placed Hemingfords United Reserves dropped at least a point in Tuesday night's home clash with Newmarket White Lion.

Richard Davies put United ahead against a useful young Needingworth United Reserves side, and goalkeeper Michael Peacock made the interval score 2-0 from the penalty spot.

Paul Canham tapped home Sutton's third, and leading scorer Matthew Keys eventually wrapped up a 4-2 win.

Stretham Hotspurs lost 4-0 at home to desperate Newmarket on Saturday, but in midweek had thumped Isleham United 6-1 with goals from Gary Careless (2), Ben Page (two penalties), Josh Ashman and veteran Matt Oakes.

Isleham did not help their cause by having their goalkeeper sent off in the second half.

The Vine's poor run continued with an odd-goal-in-five defeat at Somersham Town Reserves.


MEPAL Sports are virtually out of the 3B promotion race after losing three games in the space of five days last week.

They lost 1-0 at home to fellow contenders Lakenheath Reserves, and subsequently dipped 3-2 at Little Downham Swifts despite goals from Darren Murfitt and Giles Peacock.

On Saturday they were beaten 3-1 at Huntingdon United RGE, and that victory for the hosts meant that Soham United Reserves dropped back into the bottom two after suffering an odd-goal-in-nine defeat at Cottenham United A.

Substitute Sam Barber grabbed a consolation goal but failed to save Haddenham Rovers Reserves from a 5-1 midweek defeat at Ely Crusaders, but Crusaders themselves were thumped 6-0 at home by March Rangers on Saturday.

Fordham Reserves meanwhile look favourites to go down after suffering a 5-0 defeat at Brampton Reserves. They have only two games remaining, whereas at the time of writing both Huntingdon and Soham had four.

Pic cap: Ely Crusaders (wearing maroon) lost 6-0 on Saturday.


BURWELL Swifts Reserves lost 5-2 at home to Walsoken United despite goals from John Irvine and Tom Thatcher, but Little Downham Swifts Reserves played their part in an entertaining 3-3 draw with Wisbech Fen Stars.

They trailed by two goals following a blunder by Justin Taylor, but got back in the game when Nicky Martin finished off good work by Paul Bone and Steve Martin.

Jules Peachey then equalised from Bone's pass after a Wisbech defender failed to clear his lines, but Steve Martin deflected a shot past his own goalkeeper to put the visitors back in front.

Swifts were not to be denied however, and Ben Amory's tackle allowed Bone to level the scores.


ELY Park Rangers Reserves could not afford to lose their home encounter with fellow title-contenders Magpies 2001, but their opponents could still pip them to the Division 1A post after Sunday's 1-1 draw.

They trailed at half-time, but piled on the pressure after the break and were rewarded for their efforts with an equaliser.

Ely's Senior Division first team won 6-4 at Sawston Keys thanks to goals from Danny Mitchell (3), Dave Cornwell (2) and Martin Grey, but Triple-S failed to secure the runners-up spot as they went down 3-2 at home to Kingston Foresters.

In contrast, QPR Ely secured the Division 2A runners-up berth by thrashing champions Grove 5-0, but in Division 3A Wilburton Albion - who needed to win to finish second on goal difference - lost 5-4 at home to Quayside.