Football: Robins soar back to the top
RIDGEONS UNDER-18 LEAGUE Northern Division Wisbech Town 0 Ely City 2 ELY moved back to the top of the league with an impressive team performance against a stubborn Wisbech side. City opened the scoring with their first real attack after 10 minutes. Stephe
RIDGEONS UNDER-18 LEAGUE
Wisbech Town 0 Ely City 2
ELY moved back to the top of the league with an impressive team performance against a stubborn Wisbech side.
You may also want to watch:
City opened the scoring with their first real attack after 10 minutes. Stephen Spriggs picked out Alex Callear's run from a corner and he slotted the ball home from eight yards.
Ely created further chances in the first half, Spriggs and Liam Hart all missing chances.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 10 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
The Young Robins had to wait until the 75th minute, however, to kill off the game. Callear found Spriggs this time and he let fly with a brilliant shot from 25 yards which found the top corner.
Nick Ransome and Steven Reid missed chances before the end, but the result was never in doubt. After the game, Ely manager Stephen Reid said: "That was the best we've played all season as a team.
"Special mention must go to the referee who was excellent and had the respect of all the players."
n Ely under-18 skipper Lawrie Carter was given the captain's armband for the Cambridgeshire county side last week.
Carter, who has also featured for Ely reserves and the first team, helped Cambs to a 2-2 draw against Essex.
Alex Callear and Rob Menarry were also in the squad.