Football: Rangers victory keeps promotion hopes alive
SUNDAY FOOTBALL Ely Park Rangers kept their 1A promotion hopes on the boil with a 4-2 win at home to Chesterton. Rob Parker continued his fine scoring form with a brace, and he was joined on the scoresheet by Richie Murfitt - with a 30-yard blockbuster -
Ely Park Rangers kept their 1A promotion hopes on the boil with a 4-2 win at home to Chesterton.
Rob Parker continued his fine scoring form with a brace, and he was joined on the scoresheet by Richie Murfitt - with a 30-yard blockbuster - and Steve Moore, who was scoring his first goal for the club.
In Division 2A there was a narrow 3-2 win for Ely Park Rangers Reserves which kept them in sight of the championship, but they had to come from two goals down after some poor early defending.
Martin Gray reduced the deficit before the interval, and Martin Blakeley made it 2-2 when his shot was helped into the net via a defender and the post.
The teams were still level with 10 minutes remaining, but Blakeley held off a defender and then crossed for David Cornwell to strike the 3-2 winner. The same scoreline saw QPR Ely lose the points in their match at Alma FC.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 4 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 5 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 6 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 7 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 8 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 9 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 10 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
AFC Witchford lost 6-1 to Girton Eagles Reserves in Division 4A despite a first-half goal from leading scorer Michael Ward, and in the same section West End House crashed 4-1 at The Grove.
Wicken Maids Head fared rather better than in recent weeks however, winning 4-0 in their match at Cambridge Cosmos Reserves.