Football: Rangers victory keeps promotion hopes alive
SUNDAY FOOTBALL Ely Park Rangers kept their 1A promotion hopes on the boil with a 4-2 win at home to Chesterton. Rob Parker continued his fine scoring form with a brace, and he was joined on the scoresheet by Richie Murfitt - with a 30-yard blockbuster -
Ely Park Rangers kept their 1A promotion hopes on the boil with a 4-2 win at home to Chesterton.
Rob Parker continued his fine scoring form with a brace, and he was joined on the scoresheet by Richie Murfitt - with a 30-yard blockbuster - and Steve Moore, who was scoring his first goal for the club.
In Division 2A there was a narrow 3-2 win for Ely Park Rangers Reserves which kept them in sight of the championship, but they had to come from two goals down after some poor early defending.
You may also want to watch:
Martin Gray reduced the deficit before the interval, and Martin Blakeley made it 2-2 when his shot was helped into the net via a defender and the post.
The teams were still level with 10 minutes remaining, but Blakeley held off a defender and then crossed for David Cornwell to strike the 3-2 winner. The same scoreline saw QPR Ely lose the points in their match at Alma FC.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 10 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
AFC Witchford lost 6-1 to Girton Eagles Reserves in Division 4A despite a first-half goal from leading scorer Michael Ward, and in the same section West End House crashed 4-1 at The Grove.
Wicken Maids Head fared rather better than in recent weeks however, winning 4-0 in their match at Cambridge Cosmos Reserves.