Football: Rangers’ coach aims for top six finish
RIDGEONS PREMIER DIVISION Soham Town Rangers 2 Histon Reserves 2 SOHAM boss Ian Benjamin believes a top-six finish is still a realistic proposition after seeing his side share the spoils with Histon s second string on Friday night. Soham went a goal down
RIDGEONS PREMIER DIVISION
Soham Town Rangers 2 Histon Reserves 2
SOHAM boss Ian Benjamin believes a top-six finish is still a realistic proposition after seeing his side share the spoils with Histon's second string on Friday night.
Soham went a goal down after 13 minutes but Matt Robinson's fifth goal of the season levelled matters mid-way through the half. Shooting from 25 yards out, Robinson's effort hit the underside of the crossbar before hitting the keeper and going into the net.
Soham took the lead three minutes later, Steve Bugg picking up the ball 30 yards out and beating a defender before shooting home.
Soham lost some impetus after the break, and Histon got the equaliser their efforts deserved when former Mildenhall old boy Russell Flitton headed home from a corner five minutes from time.
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 4 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 5 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 6 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
- 7 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 8 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 9 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 10 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
"I thought we played well in the first half but were poor in the second half," said Benjamin, who said he felt the state of the pitch had some part to play in the result.
Despite picking up only a point, Benjamin is still optimistic of a top-six finish. "Our aim is to win as many games as we can and see where it takes us," he said. "But we're only five or six points of the top six now, so I definitely think we can finish up there.