FOOTBALL: King’s Ely stars made school history by lifting Mercian League title
- Credit: Archant
King’s Ely’s football team has made school history.
Its first XI has been crowned Mercian League Champions for the first time in the school’s long history thanks to going their whole campaign unbeaten.
The squad sealed the Mercian Under 18 Football League title last weekend with a 2-1 win over Uppingham School.
The local lads triumphed thanks to goals from Eamon Hatoum and Louis Garrett.
King’s Ely lifted the trophy after winning five and drawing one of their six league ties.
You may also want to watch:
Head of physical education at King’s Ely Senior, Kevin Daniel, said: “Everyone is thrilled for the team as their league win is thoroughly deserved.
“Success was due to our well organised defensive play with a quick press, which stifled the opposition.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 5 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 6 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 7 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
- 10 Christmas comes early as festive lights couple hold trial switch-on
“We were also supported by an outstanding mid-field trio who countered quickly, playing some very attractive free-flowing football.”