Football: Ely’s run continues
Ely City 1 Cambridge Nomads 0 ELY continued their excellent run with a hard fought victory at home against run-away league leaders Cambridge Nomads. After five straight defeats earlier in the season, Ely have turned their season around with three wins
Ely City 1 Cambridge Nomads 0
ELY continued their excellent run with a hard fought victory at home against run-away league leaders Cambridge Nomads.
After five straight defeats earlier in the season, Ely have turned their season around with three wins and two draws in their last five games.
Nomads should have taken the lead midway through the half, as Ely pushed forward looking for the opening goal, Nomads won the ball and broke quickly. Outnumbering the Ely defence, the Nomads forward rounded Chris Vincett in goal but shot wide, with captain Jay Pema and left-back Neil Dodsworth both running at the line to stop the shot.
You may also want to watch:
Nomads started strongly in the second half looking to remind Ely of their superior league position and dominate the second half. Midway through the half, an Ely penalty corner was squared to man of the match Rich Vincett who stroked the ball home.
Nomads attacked directly from the restart, with only some last ditch tackling from Tim Reynolds, Jay Pema and Rich Vincett kept Ely ahead. With minutes remaining Chris Vincett in the Ely goal pulled off an excellent save low to his right from a sharp penalty corner strike. Charlie Kisby and Grant Gilmour both worked tirelessly down the left flank, looking to support the attack and then sprinting back to assist the defence.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 6 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 7 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 8 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 9 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told