FOOTBALL: Ely City strike deal with local recyling firm Ellgia to rename the Unwin Ground
- Credit: Archant
It has been a summer of change at Ely City, with players coming and going ahead of the new Thurlow Nunn Premier Division season.
But Brady Stone’s men have just experienced their biggest change to date – in the form of the re-naming of the Unwin Ground.
The Robins’ stadium, which was given its name in memory of legendary chairman Doug Unwin over 30 years ago, will now be known as the Ellgia Stadium after a deal was struck with the Ely recycling and waste firm.
The local company has also become Ely’s first team sponsor as part of the deal, and the Robins will play in ‘Ellgia green’ on their away trips during the upcoming season.
Joe Hemsley-Rudd, sales director of Ellgia, said: “We are absolutely delighted to be able to support the club in this way. Ely City is an extremely ambitious club and will be targeting promotion this season. Likewise, Ellgia is a rapidly growing company and is ambitious for a partnership where we know we can grow together so we are proud to be providing our support.
You may also want to watch:
“I have always followed the club from my time playing with the club in my youth. I know how important grassroots football is and the role that clubs play in our local community.
“I want to see Ely City going from strength to strength with the backing of Ellgia.”
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 8 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 9 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 10 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
Despite its renaming, Doug Unwin will not be completely absent from Ely’s new-look ground. His name will take pride of place above one of its stands as of next season.
Paul Jeffrey, Ely’s sponsorship manager, said: “We are thrilled to have on board a company like Ellgia who can see what we want to achieve and will be there to help us grow.
“Their interest in the club is genuine and they have already been helpful with improving the grounds and discussing our shared vision.
“We are excited to be at the start of a new era and changing the name of the ground will signal that we plan this to be a long-term and fruitful partnership with Ellgia.
“We want to progress as a club and, with Ellgia’s support, we can grow towards a brighter future together.”
The Robins will play their first game at their newly-named ground on Tuesday (25) when they welcome Bury Town (7.45pm).