Football: 3-0 victory for Ely City
RIDGEONS FIRST DIVISION Ely City 3 Great Yarmouth Town 0 ELY joint-manager Steve Taylor admitted it was hard for his side to focus following the events of last week, but the Robins still notched up three points against Yarmouth. Taylor and fellow joint-ma
RIDGEONS FIRST DIVISION
Ely City 3 Great Yarmouth Town 0
ELY joint-manager Steve Taylor admitted it was hard for his side to focus following the events of last week, but the Robins still notched up three points against Yarmouth.
Taylor and fellow joint-manager Dennis Lightning reaffirmed their commitment to the club last week after a "heated discussion" with chairman Bob Button.
You may also want to watch:
And Taylor admitted his team had trouble concentrating on the task at hand on Saturday, but the Robins still managed to win.
He said: "It was hard for everyone - the players and the management team - to focus after what happened last week, but were able to go and do that.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 7 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 8 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 9 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
"We had a good training session last Thursday where we said we were starting with a clean slate, and it helped on Saturday."
It was goalless at half-time but second half strikes from Andy Chatters, Martin Westcott and Gary Dewsbury sealed the win.
Taylor reserved special praise for winger Leigh Matthews, who was playing his second match for the Robins after taking an eight-year break from the game.
"He was a revelation," said Taylor, who managed Matthews at Chatteris. "He's 32 but he's a fit lad and he can run up and down all day."
Another player, Vinnie Long, who was signed last week from Newmarket, made his debut and had a solid game in defence.