Flying start proves vital for Ely in last under-11 tournament
ELY wanted to finish on a high with a positive performance in the last under-11 tournament in the season this weekend. First they faced a young EC Select team, who had to play all their matches for the day with no substitutes. This proved to be an easy en
ELY wanted to finish on a high with a positive performance in the last under-11 tournament in the season this weekend.
First they faced a young EC Select team, who had to play all their matches for the day with no substitutes. This proved to be an easy encounter for Ely and they were off to a flying start for the day with a 10-1 win over the EC youngsters. Goals came from Simon Thompson (4), Steph Collier (3), Max Dunand (2) and Josh Taylor.
The next match of the day was against King's Lynn. This proved to be a totally different affair with Max Dunand scoring Ely's only goal in a 5-1 defeat.
King's Lynn celebrated their win more than usual, as this win gave them the points they needed to pip Peterborough to the league title for the season.
Ely were to bounce back with another positive result against the guest team in the league, Herne Bay United. With Max Dunand (5) and Simon Thompson (4) finding the net they easily overcame their opponents in a 9-5 win.
Their last game was against local team Cambridge who were fielding a weakened team. Ely, again taking advantage of the situation, managed to significantly increase their goal difference by scoring 13 goals without reply. Simon Thompson was again on target with seven goals with contributions from Max Dunand (3), Steph Collier (2) and an unfortunate own goal from Cambridge.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 3 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 4 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 5 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 6 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 9 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 10 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
Ely player, Rees Parfitt played for the EC team at the weekend. He helped them to a win over Cambridge, scoring twice goals in their 3-0 win.
He also managed to score the best goal of the game in what proved to be the bestmatch of the day striking 12 yards from goal in a 2-1 defeat to Herne Bay.
EC's other result was a 9-0 defeat to King's Lynn in the last game of their home tournament.
The results mean that Ely II finish third and Ely finish seventh in the under-11 league.