CRICKET: City of Ely continue stunning streak, but Wilburton are still giving chase
- Credit: Archant
City of Ely continued their march to Cambs Senior League title honours last Saturday.
The table-toppers extended their stunning 2018 winning run to 13 games in Division Three courtesy of a five-wicket success against Newport.
Opening bowler Greg Blake (3-19) and David Moller (3-18) led the way as City dismissed their visitors for just 118 at the Paradise Centre.
Richard Vincett also bagged 2-27 with Louis Cook and Owen Buxton chipping in with a wicket apiece.
And City eased past that modest target with relative ease as stand-in skipper Tom Beaumont top-scored with 24. Opener Jonny Wallace also contributed 22 with Ben Cross adding 18 and Ed Aniskowicz reaching 17.
You may also want to watch:
Chris Aniskowicz (17no) and Vajira Ketipearachchi (5no) then steered City across the line as they maintained a 59-point lead over fellow locals Wilburton at the summit.
Wilburton continued their own promotion push with a nine-wicket demolition of Girton after removing their hosts for 83.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Man found dead in March
- 5 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 6 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 7 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
- 8 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 9 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 10 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
Connor Logan was the pick of their bowlers with 4-14 while Marcus Brook snared 3-17 before Scott Connop hit 42 as they cruised to victory.
City of Ely go to Horseheath this Saturday while it is the turn of Wilburton to visit Newport. Both clubs have five games remaining.