Five-star Abbey pile pressure on Greens
Waltham Abbey 5 Soham Town Rangers 2
SOHAM’S woeful start to 2012 showed no signs of easing as they slipped to a resounding defeat at Waltham Abbey on Tuesday night.
Though Andy Furnell’s men were still in the game up until the 89th minute, with the score at 3-2, a late brace from the home side squashed any hopes of rescuing a point and consigned the Greens to their fourth defeat in five league games this year.
The result came just three days after the 4-1 drubbing they suffered at the hands of third-bottom side Ware.
The defeats leave the Greens teetering just six points clear of the drop zone, with crunch games against fellow strugglers Ilford and Great Wakering Rovers still to come.
On Tuesday, Waltham’s Daran Bern, Tom Laxton and Ayrton Coley all netted in a dominant opening 40-minute period to put the home side comfortably in the ascendancy.
To their credit however, Soham hit back with goals from Andy Furnell and Dan Cotton either side of half-time getting them back in the match.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 3 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 4 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 5 Ely Heroes winner, Alison, attends royal garden party after three-year wait
- 6 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 7 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 8 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 9 Princess Anne to visit Cambridgeshire next week
- 10 Pupils ensure 'Eel-izabeth' comes to life for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
The Greens continued to battle until the dying minutes when Bern and Liam Farrell netted in quick succession to seal an ultimately emphatic win.