Five-star Abbey pile pressure on Greens
Waltham Abbey 5 Soham Town Rangers 2
SOHAM’S woeful start to 2012 showed no signs of easing as they slipped to a resounding defeat at Waltham Abbey on Tuesday night.
Though Andy Furnell’s men were still in the game up until the 89th minute, with the score at 3-2, a late brace from the home side squashed any hopes of rescuing a point and consigned the Greens to their fourth defeat in five league games this year.
The result came just three days after the 4-1 drubbing they suffered at the hands of third-bottom side Ware.
The defeats leave the Greens teetering just six points clear of the drop zone, with crunch games against fellow strugglers Ilford and Great Wakering Rovers still to come.
You may also want to watch:
On Tuesday, Waltham’s Daran Bern, Tom Laxton and Ayrton Coley all netted in a dominant opening 40-minute period to put the home side comfortably in the ascendancy.
To their credit however, Soham hit back with goals from Andy Furnell and Dan Cotton either side of half-time getting them back in the match.
- 1 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 2 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
The Greens continued to battle until the dying minutes when Bern and Liam Farrell netted in quick succession to seal an ultimately emphatic win.