Five in a row
King s School Ely oarsmen are celebrating after winning five events at this year s Ball Cup regatta at Dorney Lake, in Berkshire, one of the UK s most prestigious competitions. King s points tally put them second overall. Oliver Bradbury, one of the top 1
King's School Ely oarsmen are celebrating after winning five events at this year's Ball Cup regatta at Dorney Lake, in Berkshire, one of the UK's most prestigious competitions. King's points tally put them second overall.
Oliver Bradbury, one of the top 10 UK prospects in his age group, was a convincing winner of the junior 18 sculls. Sam Strong won the junior 16 event and James Scott the junior 14.
Oliver also partnered David Chesterman to win the junior 18 doubles. In the other doubles events, the King's crews of Natasha Calder and Maia Tanner, Josh Burford and Peter Collier, and James Scott and Robert Deamer, were all second or third in their events.
There was another first for David, Darren Hart, Colin Sherwood and Sam Strong in the junior 16 quad event.
You may also want to watch:
Master in charge of rowing, Edward Davis, said: "There was fierce competition from schools all over England so the success of our squad is evidence of the depth of talent among our current crop of rowers at King's."
The squad is training for the next major event in the school's rowing calendar - the National Schools' Championship at Nottingham at the end of May.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 7 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
- 8 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 9 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 10 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
n Boat club captain Oliver Bradbury is pictured holding the silver trophy which marked the school's regatta success, with, from left, Colin Sherwood, Darren Hart, Sam Strong, James Scott and David Chesterman.