First win of the Season for Ely 1 Rugby
RUGBY Ely I 19 Holt I 12 CONDITIONS were wet and very windy to start and, with a penalty given away by Holt in the first five minutes for killing the ball, Ed Fahy kicked Ely into a lead. Holt gained possession with a line out 10 meters out from the Ely
Ely I 19 Holt I 12
CONDITIONS were wet and very windy to start and, with a penalty given away by Holt in the first five minutes for killing the ball, Ed Fahy kicked Ely into a lead.
Holt gained possession with a line out 10 meters out from the Ely try line and went over for a try. The kick was missed and the score was 5-3 to Holt.
You may also want to watch:
Ely's next points came on the stroke of half time, again with a penalty from Ed Fahy. This gave Ely a 6-5 lead at half time.
After 15 minutes of play in the second half, Ely's Dan Gardener scored a try and Ed Fahy kicked the extra two points. Holt replied with a try and successful conversion to take the lead 12-10.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
But Holt were unable to score again and, in the last 20 minutes, Ed Fahy kicked an extra nine points for Ely which secured their first win of the season with three left to play.
<8388> HOLTING ONTO THE BALL: Ely met Holt on Saturday and recorded their only win of the season so far in the Eastern Counties 1 league, although they remain at the bottom of the table. Ely first team - playing in black and yellow - won 19-12.
<8372> FLOORED! The referee goes down during the action between Ely and Holt (black/white) at the Ely Outdoor Sports Association on Saturday.
Photo: HELEN DRAKE