First-ever Tuesday night event and it's no joke
CYCLING ELY and District Cycling Club held their first Tuesday evening event of 2008 on April 1, and a turnout of 19 riders made good time over a two lap circuit course through the picturesque villages of Witcham and Mepal. Alan Newark (Planet X) recorded
ELY and District Cycling Club held their first Tuesday evening event of 2008 on April 1, and a turnout of 19 riders made good time over a two lap circuit course through the picturesque villages of Witcham and Mepal.
Alan Newark (Planet X) recorded the fastest time of 19:14, but not far behind Ely rider Tom Sykes threw down the gauntlet to fellow contenders with a blistering 19:31 ride that bodes well for his future competitions.
Philip Peacock covered the 7.7 miles strongly to finish at 20:15, while another Ely fastman Steve Presland began his 2008 campaign with an equally convincing 20:21.
You may also want to watch:
Riding back into form Colin Whitechurch posted a fine 20:34, with Jon McAndrew and Marc Cox not too far off the pace at 20:36 and 20:39 respectively.
Newcomer Andy Daley showed early promise, recording a commendable 24:33.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 7 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 8 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 9 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
John Thorogood returned after some time off and recorded 25:07,whilst Ben Stephen rode the course in 25:30 compared to his 2007 attempt of 25:25.
The next event for the Club will be on April 15 at 6.45pm for the 13 mile circuit of Little Downham and Coveney.
Two Laps - 7.7 miles
1 Alan Newark 19:14, 2 Tom Sykes 19:31, 3 Philip Peacock 20:15, 4 Steve Presland 20:21, 5 Colin Whitechurch 20:34, 6 Jon McAndrew 20:36, 7 Marc Cox 20:39, 8 Geoff Brewster 21:34, 9 Simon Weatherly 22:38, 10 Malcolm Robinson 23:00, 11 Andy Stephen 23:54, 12 John Jermy 24:16, 13 Andy Daley 24:33, 14 Nigel Leadbeater 24:51, 15 John Thorogood 25:07, 16 Ben Stephen 25:30, 17 Eddie Green 25:50, 18 Celia Whitechurch 26:16.
One Lap - 3.85 miles
Derek Bailey 11:40
Malcolm Robinson of Ely City Cycles powered around the 7.7 mile course in 23 minutes during Ely and District Cycling Club's first Tuesday evening time trial of the year.