WE can now announce the finalists for the Ely Standard Sports Awards 2008. The list contains one or two internationally recognised names, but also many more who have been competing, supporting and encouraging sport in East Cambridgeshire and may have gone
WE can now announce the finalists for the Ely Standard Sports Awards 2008. The list contains one or two internationally recognised names, but also many more who have been competing, supporting and encouraging sport in East Cambridgeshire and may have gone unrecognised outside of their individual clubs and sporting fields.
The judges got together on Friday and had the difficult task of choosing three finalists from each category, which in some cases, proved extremely frustrating.
Some of the judge's comments.
"A perfect role model for young people," "difficult to judge as all the nominees are dedicated to their sport," "has given a huge chunk of his lifetime for the good of others in sport," "dedicated to setting youngsters on the right track" "an inspirational character who has overcome personal difficulties to take part in sport."
Everyone who has been nominated for an award will receive a personal invitation to the Gala Awards Evening at the City of Ely Community College on December 4 at 7pm. All the finalists will receive a framed certificate and the winner of each category will received a trophy. The event will be compered by Star FM's programme controller Mark Peters. If you have been named as a finalist, and do not receive an invitation by Friday, November 21, then contact Debbie Davies on 01353 667831 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org and please remember to RSVP by the date shown in the letter.
Editor Debbie Davies said she was thrilled at the standard of entries and is looking forward to meeting the people behind the nominations.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 3 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 4 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 5 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 8 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 9 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 10 Corporal lines up world record 135km paddleboard trek for 'gleaming' Bobby
"I always knew we had lots of keen sports people in East Cambridgeshire, but I honestly had no idea about the stories behind the headlines and the results that appear each week in our paper. The stories of dedication to sport, and the endeavour and commitment that is necessary, in some cases, just to take part in sport and for others, to achieve at the highest level. It was truly humbling to read the nominations for the Ely Standard's Liam Fairhurst Award and the Disability Award and incredibly difficult for the judges to pick one winner from so many worthy entries.
I am really looking forward to meeting everyone at the Gala Awards Evening and also seeing the faces of the winners when they go up onto the stage to collect their trophies.