Final disappointment for Ely
ELY Roller Hockey Club competed for the first time in the under-13 s National Cup final on Saturday. Ely were full of confidence after their quarter and semi-final victories in Peterborough earlier in the season, where they beat Herne Bay 4-3 and then B
ELY Roller Hockey Club competed for the first time in the under-13's National Cup final on Saturday.
Ely were full of confidence after their quarter and semi-final victories in Peterborough earlier in the season, where they beat Herne Bay 4-3 and then Bury 9-3.
But, as they made the trip down to Kent, they knew they would be up against the best under-13 roller hockey team in the country.
Things started to go with the form as King's Lynn quickly made their experience count and they were 3-0 up when the first time-out was called.
You may also want to watch:
Ely tried to push forward but seemed very much on the back foot as King's Lynn attacked strongly for the rest of the first half to take a 6-0 lead.
Ely showed more promise in the second half and they produced numerous attacking moves as they strived to make a dramatic comeback.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 4 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 5 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 6 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 7 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 8 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 9 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 10 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
Yet, despite their gallant efforts, they were still unable to score past the impressive King's Lynn goalkeeper.
Ely were desperately unlucky with two attempts that came back of the crossbar and the upright.
King's Lynn however did manage to go on and score three more goals to win the match and the title of U13's National Champions with a resounding 9-0 victory.
GET YOUR SKATES ON. Ely Roller Hockey Team who were runners up in the National Cup Final. Pictured from left to right are - back row: Dan Drewery, Dan Salisbury, Simon Thompson and Sam Norton (captain.) Front row: Sam Arnold, Kasia Parfitt, James Baynes and James Cox.