Final disappointment for Ely
ELY Roller Hockey Club competed for the first time in the under-13 s National Cup final on Saturday. Ely were full of confidence after their quarter and semi-final victories in Peterborough earlier in the season, where they beat Herne Bay 4-3 and then B
ELY Roller Hockey Club competed for the first time in the under-13's National Cup final on Saturday.
Ely were full of confidence after their quarter and semi-final victories in Peterborough earlier in the season, where they beat Herne Bay 4-3 and then Bury 9-3.
But, as they made the trip down to Kent, they knew they would be up against the best under-13 roller hockey team in the country.
Things started to go with the form as King's Lynn quickly made their experience count and they were 3-0 up when the first time-out was called.
Ely tried to push forward but seemed very much on the back foot as King's Lynn attacked strongly for the rest of the first half to take a 6-0 lead.
Ely showed more promise in the second half and they produced numerous attacking moves as they strived to make a dramatic comeback.
- 1 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 2 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 3 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 4 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 5 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 6 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 7 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 8 ‘If it wasn’t for NICU I possibly wouldn’t be here today’ - Darren fundraising for Addenbrooke's
- 9 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 10 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
Yet, despite their gallant efforts, they were still unable to score past the impressive King's Lynn goalkeeper.
Ely were desperately unlucky with two attempts that came back of the crossbar and the upright.
King's Lynn however did manage to go on and score three more goals to win the match and the title of U13's National Champions with a resounding 9-0 victory.
GET YOUR SKATES ON. Ely Roller Hockey Team who were runners up in the National Cup Final. Pictured from left to right are - back row: Dan Drewery, Dan Salisbury, Simon Thompson and Sam Norton (captain.) Front row: Sam Arnold, Kasia Parfitt, James Baynes and James Cox.