Festive cheer for youngster Chandler at Ely Sailing Club’s Boxing Day competition
- Credit: Archant
Rather than tucking into left-over turkey and mince pies, sailors from Ely Sailing Club took to the water on Boxing Day for a post-Christmas competition.
Nine helms – one with a crew – set sail on a gusty morning, and two races were sailed.
Simon Leeks, who had scooped the Boxing Day title for the previous four years, made a sluggish start, allowing Commodore Gary Ungless the opportunity to take an early lead.
Chandler Stamford then raced into the lead just before the finish line, but Ungless took the victory on corrected time.
Simon Leeks sailed home in third place.
You may also want to watch:
In the second race of the day, Andy Wilcox finished miles ahead of his opponents in his borrowed Streaker, with youngster Stamford finishing in second place.
Ungless was less fortunate in this race, capsizing on his second lap after falling foul to a gust of wind.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 5 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 6 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 7 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 8 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 9 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 10 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
After both races’ scores were combined, Stamford was crowned champion, and celebrated in festive style with a glass of mulled wine and a mince pie.