TEN riders competed in Ely and District Cycling Club s weekly meeting, and had to contend with a cold headwind on the return leg of the time trial held on the Sutton to Ely course along the A142. The distance of 10 miles was ridden with gutsy determinati
TEN riders competed in Ely and District Cycling Club's weekly meeting, and had to contend with a cold headwind on the return leg of the time trial held on the Sutton to Ely course along the A142.
The distance of 10 miles was ridden with gutsy determination by young tester Harvey Leadbeater who finished as 'Lantern Rouge' with a 40:10 to his credit, while dad Nigel made a welcome return with a strong 32:11.
Another rider getting his season off to a fine start was Ray Jolly, who turned in a hard-earned 34:53, showing he still has the sheer willpower needed to face down an oncoming wind.
Two of the club's more feisty riders, Darren Cole and Andy Clarke, continued their respective ascents on the leaderboard, both tearing up the road in pursuit of the clock and finishing with 27:56 and 28:15, with Philip Peacock just managing to get the better of the two with 27:47.
You may also want to watch:
Geoff Brewster again turned on the style to finish with the fastest time of the evening at 26:16, while husband and wife team Colin and Celia Whitechurch took to the tandem to set 27:16 over the punishing course.
Colin is powering his way back to fitness after a spell off the bike to recover from illness and will aim to be setting the results sheet alight in weeks to come.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 10 Man found dead in March
The next event for the club will be on Tuesday, a 10-mile course from Witchford to Sutton and back.
Riders should meet at the Witchford Pavilion on BedWell Hey Lane in Witchford at least 15 minutes before the official start time of 6.45pm.
For more details check out the website ww.elycyclingclub.com or telephone Marc Cox on 01353 749507.
Results: 1 Geoff Brewster 26.16; 2 Phillip Peacock 27.47; 3 Darren Cole 27.56; 4 Andy Clarke 28.15; 5 Richard Winrow 29.35; 6 Nigel Leadbeater 32.11; 7 Ray Jolly 34.538.; 8 Harvey Leadbeater 40.10; 1 Colin and Celia Whitechurch 27.16 (tandem).