Sam Barker, left, smashed national time trial champion Michael Hutchinson s record by nearly half-a-minute at Ely and District Cycling Club s first race of the season. The suitably-named Hardriders 25-mile race against the clock took place on Sunday and
Sam Barker, left, smashed national time trial champion Michael Hutchinson's record by nearly half-a-minute at Ely and District Cycling Club's first race of the season.
The suitably-named Hardriders
25-mile race against the clock took place on Sunday and early starter Tristan Barnes seemed to have it sewn up before the favourites had started, recording 58min 31sec.
This time is one second up on Barker's 2006 effort, and 1:29 short of Hutchinson's record time, set during the same race.
But Barker, of De Rosa RT, last to set off, powered round the course in a phenomenal 56:35.
The challenging classic Fenland race, which starts and ends in Little Downham, is renowned for its undulations and winding roads, which leave riders exposed to strong winds throughout and Richard O'Rourke, of Chelmer CC, was the only other rider to clock under an hour.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 3 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 4 Ely Heroes winner, Alison, attends royal garden party after three-year wait
- 5 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 6 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 7 Police take a tough stance as begging crackdown continues
- 8 Pupils ensure 'Eel-izabeth' comes to life for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 9 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
- 10 New March station will 'help people to use petrol and diesel cars less'
Ely and District rider Steve Presland surprised many with an impressive 1:07:45, while club-mates Andrew 'Cyclone' Clarke and Colin Whitechurch recorded 1:12:00 and 1:13:11 respectively.
Ely's Tuesday evening time-trials start on April 3.
Full results of the Hardriders 25-mile race can be seen at www.elycyclingclub.com
For more information about Ely Cycling Club, contact Mr Cox on 01223 263862.