Sam Barker, left, smashed national time trial champion Michael Hutchinson s record by nearly half-a-minute at Ely and District Cycling Club s first race of the season. The suitably-named Hardriders 25-mile race against the clock took place on Sunday and
Sam Barker, left, smashed national time trial champion Michael Hutchinson's record by nearly half-a-minute at Ely and District Cycling Club's first race of the season.
The suitably-named Hardriders
25-mile race against the clock took place on Sunday and early starter Tristan Barnes seemed to have it sewn up before the favourites had started, recording 58min 31sec.
This time is one second up on Barker's 2006 effort, and 1:29 short of Hutchinson's record time, set during the same race.
You may also want to watch:
But Barker, of De Rosa RT, last to set off, powered round the course in a phenomenal 56:35.
The challenging classic Fenland race, which starts and ends in Little Downham, is renowned for its undulations and winding roads, which leave riders exposed to strong winds throughout and Richard O'Rourke, of Chelmer CC, was the only other rider to clock under an hour.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 4 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 5 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 6 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 7 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 10 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
Ely and District rider Steve Presland surprised many with an impressive 1:07:45, while club-mates Andrew 'Cyclone' Clarke and Colin Whitechurch recorded 1:12:00 and 1:13:11 respectively.
Ely's Tuesday evening time-trials start on April 3.
Full results of the Hardriders 25-mile race can be seen at www.elycyclingclub.com
For more information about Ely Cycling Club, contact Mr Cox on 01223 263862.