Fantastic signing’ Pettit moves over to Robins
STRIKER Andy Pettit has joined Ely City from neighbours Mildenhall Town. But Lee James has left The Robins for Lakenheath. Ely boss Dennis Lightning said: Andy is a fantastic signing for us. He s a real goal poacher. He s got pace and bags of skill and h
STRIKER Andy Pettit has joined Ely City from neighbours Mildenhall Town.
But Lee James has left The Robins for Lakenheath.
Ely boss Dennis Lightning said: "Andy is a fantastic signing for us. He's a real goal poacher. He's got pace and bags of skill and he will also create chances. He played regular Ridgeons Premier Division football with Newmarket last season and has started a few games for Mildenhall, so he should be a very important player for us."
Pettit, 26, will compete for a place in the Ely attack with Robbie Mason and Tom Beech and is in the squad for Saturday's home match against Stowmarket.
You may also want to watch:
Striker James, 27, signed from Great Shelford in the summer but has found chances limited at Ely.
Lightning said: "He wanted regular first team football, which we couldn't offer him at this stage. But I've held on to his registration and told him that if he can get fit and find some form there's a chance we may welcome back."
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 8 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 9 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 10 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
A super 30-yard strike from Tom Pell gave Ely a 1-0 win at promotion rivals Clacton on Saturday.
Ely, playing a 4-5-1 formation with Tom Beech as a lone striker, enjoyed the majority of possession but came up against a stubborn defence.
Ely keeper Lee Pacey made a superb save from point blank range in a rare Clacton attack, midway through the second half, before Pell forced a full-stretch diving save with a shot from distance.
Five minutes later Pell collected a short corner and fired in a dipping, swerving shot that left the keeper with no chance, and reduced Clacton to their fist home defeat of the season.