‘Fantastic’ Robins hit Braintree Reserves for six
- Credit: Archant
Ely City manager Brady Stone hailed his side as “fantastic from start to finish” after they secured their highest goals tally this season and smashed six past Braintree Town Reserves in a 6-1 win on Saturday.
Matt Simpson continued his superb goal-scoring form, netting a brace, with Jamie Alsop, James Seymour, Alex Theobald and Sam Goodge completing the rout for the Robins on a crisp afternoon at the Unwin Ground.
Ely raced out of the blocks against their Essex rivals, going two goals up at half-time.
Braintree did score through Tom Cole, but four second half goals from the Robins saw Brady Stone’s men bag their biggest win of the season.
Robins’ boss Brady Stone was delighted with his team’s prolific display, saying: “From start to finish we were fantastic. We could have had seven or eight in the first twenty minutes.”
You may also want to watch:
Stone also looked forward to Ely’s next fixture, against Leiston Reserves on Saturday November 7.
He said: “We’re obviously looking to get three points against them as they’re lower than us in the league.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 10 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
“Our run of fixtures see us play three teams in the top six or seven so we’re going to look to get three points against them and push on towards the top of the league,” he added.
The Robins are now fifth in the Thurloww Nunn Division One, four points behind Great Yarmouth Town in second.