Fallon steps up search for centre back after Soham Town Rangers fall to Thamesmead defeat
SOHAM Town Rangers boss Steve Fallon is stepping up his search for a centre back after the Greens slumped to a 1-0 defeat at Thamesmead Town last night.
Midfield duo Michael Simpson and Neil Andrews have both had to deputise in central defence since James Motley returned to university.
Fallon may look towards Southend United for help but, with scholars Jack Paxman and Ryan Auger already on work experience, league rules could prevent him from bringing in another Shrimpers player.
“We’ve decided that we must get a centre back in,” said Fallon. “We’ve tried to get a couple but it hasn’t come off.
“There’s one available for us to take from Southend. He’s played at a good level so we’re trying to find out what the league ruling is about how many players we can have on work experience.”
You may also want to watch:
A second-half penalty halted the Greens four-match unbeaten run at Thamesmead last night. The defeat leaves them in 19th place in Ryman Division One North.
Fallon said: “We had a 15-minute spell where we hit the woodwork three times and their keeper made a few good saves but that was about as good as it got.
- 1 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
“All in all we’ve done really well in the last four or five games. Hopefully that was just a blip.”
Soham secured the �2,250 prize money as a first clean sheet of the season helped them see off Tooting & Mitcham United in the FA Trophy first qualifying round on Saturday.
Paxman and Robbie Mason grabbed the goals in a 2-0 win which secures the Greens a home clash against Ramsgate in the next round.
Soham host high-flying Cheshunt on Saturday.