FA honour for selfless Bob
LITTLEPORT Town stalwart Bob Bowditch was announced the winner of Cambridgeshire FA’s Goodwill Award for May.
Bob collected �100 worth of FA and Umbro football equipment for his club which he can choose from a ‘shopping list’ of items that includes balls, cones, bags, bottles and even the FA’s full ‘Future Game’ coaching pack.
Bob received his award thanks to his sterling work in early May when the weather was at its worst. The Cambridgeshire County League was desperately trying to rearrange all the cup finals which had been rained off and particularly troublesome was the Percy Oldham Memorial Cup Final between Kershaw Senior B teams Fulbourn Reserves and Fenstanton.
At extremely short notice, Littleport Town FC stepped into the breach and offered to host the game on June 23. Enter long-serving club chairman Bob who spent the whole of the previous evening preparing the pitch, on his own, and then acting as organiser on the day of the game, again, on his own.
For this selfless act of generosity, Bob Bowditch picks up the county’s fifth monthly Goodwill Award and will collect �100 worth of coaching equipment shortly. Fenstanton FC were the key beneficiaries of his efforts as they won the match 2-0.
You may also want to watch:
Phil Mitcham, secretary of the Cambridgeshire County League, in making this nomination, said: “Just when we were running out of options to play this game before the official end of the season, Bob stepped forward and gave up two whole evenings in succession, working alone, to help us out.”
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment