Extra-time goal ends cup dream
FA VASE – FIRST ROUND REPLAY Wisbech Town 2 Ely City 1 (after extra time) ELY were knocked out of the FA Vase on Tuesday as Liam Harrold scored the Fenmen s 150th goal of the competition, deep into extra time. Ely went into the game full of confidence and
FA VASE - FIRST ROUND REPLAY
Wisbech Town 2 Ely City 1 (after extra time)
ELY were knocked out of the FA Vase on Tuesday as Liam Harrold scored the Fenmen's 150th goal of the competition, deep into extra time.
Ely went into the game full of confidence and attacked with the same vigour they had shown on Saturday.
The Robins took a deserved lead in the 38th minute when with a looped header from 12 yards out after a free kick, and they took this into half-time.
The second half continued at a frantic pace, but both sides struggled to create any clear-cut chances.
- 1 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 2 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 3 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 4 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 5 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 6 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 7 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
- 8 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 9 Students ‘over the moon’ to receive letter from The Queen during project
- 10 Inclusivity at the heart of Dr Pip's goals ahead of Ely by-election
Wisbech equalised in controversial circumstances when the referee awarded them a dubious penalty and, in the melee that followed, an Ely player shoved the referee and was fortunate to remain on the field. The penalty was converted and, for the second time in three days, the teams had to play out extra-time.
Ely plugged away and looked dangerous on the break and half-chances were created at either end.
But, in the 119th minute, Harrold found himself unmarked in the box and got on the end of a cross to head home from eight yards.
Ely can be extremely proud of the fact that they matched, and in some periods, bettered a premier league side.
FA VASE - FIRST ROUND
Ely City 0 Wisbech Town 0 (after extra time)
ELY outplayed Ridgeons League Premier Division side Wisbech on Saturday.
Neither side could find the net in 120 minutes of football, but the Robins always looked more likely to score.
James Reeves had an effort cleared off the line early on and Wisbech were reduced to half-chances.
Ely's left winger Mark Johnson caused constant problems and striker Nick Impey had several chances to seal the win.
Wisbech had a man sent off in the final minute of normal time, but the exhausted Ely players were unable to capitalise in the extra time.
n Ely's next match is away to Great Yarmouth in the league.