Essex Pair Star At Ely Event
AN exciting day s racing at Ely Sailing Club at the weekend saw Essex pair, Brian and Linda Cumming take victory ahead of a host of club favourites. Eight Enterprise dinghies raced in Sunday s perfect sailing conditions at Roswell Pits in Ely, with three
AN exciting day's racing at Ely Sailing Club at the weekend saw Essex pair, Brian and Linda Cumming take victory ahead of a host of club favourites.
Eight Enterprise dinghies raced in Sunday's perfect sailing conditions at Roswell Pits in Ely, with three visiting boats joining the five Ely boats from the host club.
The North Easterly wind made it possible to provide a long upwind leg over the whole length of the pit, which provided the highly competitive fleet with a good tactical challenge.
The first race started in a good Force Two to Three breeze which was shifting, becoming alternately more Northerly and then blowing more from the North East. The first two races were won by Brian and Linda Cumming from Dabchicks Sailing Club in Essex , who made the most of the wind shifts to lead by a considerable distance by the end of the hour long races.
You may also want to watch:
At the beginning of the second race there was a significant wind shift, which resulted in most of the fleet tacking simultaneously.
The third race was won by Ely crew Kevin and Scott Bilham who sailed well to win a closely fought race.
- 1 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 6 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 7 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 8 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 9 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 10 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
The next event at Ely Sailing Club will be a special Open Evening tonight (May 13) from 6 p.m at the clubs home on Prickwillow Road.