Essex Pair Star At Ely Event
AN exciting day s racing at Ely Sailing Club at the weekend saw Essex pair, Brian and Linda Cumming take victory ahead of a host of club favourites. Eight Enterprise dinghies raced in Sunday s perfect sailing conditions at Roswell Pits in Ely, with three
AN exciting day's racing at Ely Sailing Club at the weekend saw Essex pair, Brian and Linda Cumming take victory ahead of a host of club favourites.
Eight Enterprise dinghies raced in Sunday's perfect sailing conditions at Roswell Pits in Ely, with three visiting boats joining the five Ely boats from the host club.
The North Easterly wind made it possible to provide a long upwind leg over the whole length of the pit, which provided the highly competitive fleet with a good tactical challenge.
The first race started in a good Force Two to Three breeze which was shifting, becoming alternately more Northerly and then blowing more from the North East. The first two races were won by Brian and Linda Cumming from Dabchicks Sailing Club in Essex , who made the most of the wind shifts to lead by a considerable distance by the end of the hour long races.
At the beginning of the second race there was a significant wind shift, which resulted in most of the fleet tacking simultaneously.
The third race was won by Ely crew Kevin and Scott Bilham who sailed well to win a closely fought race.
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 4 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 5 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 6 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 7 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 8 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 9 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 10 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
The next event at Ely Sailing Club will be a special Open Evening tonight (May 13) from 6 p.m at the clubs home on Prickwillow Road.