EQUESTRIAN: More NSEA National Championships success for King’s Ely trio
- Credit: Archant
King’s Ely riders have qualified for the National Schools Equestrian Association’s (NSEA) National Championships.
Three members of the school’s equestrian team - Ryan Shaw, Ellie Grimsey and George Hearn - all pupils at King’s Ely Junior - competed in the NSEA Eventer’s Challenge National Final and Show Jumping Qualifier, held in Hickstead in West Sussex, last week.
The trio were in the 70cms team which they qualified for the earlier in the year.
It was a tricky course of 16 jumps - a mixture of show jumps and cross country jumps - which proved to be quite the challenge for the riders and their ponies.
However, the King’s Ely team turned in a top performance and came sixth overall - a great achievement at a national final and a one-place increase on the school’s performance at last year’s competition.
You may also want to watch:
It was even more impressive that there were only three riders in the team (top three scores count in a team of four), and that all three riders were clear.
However, the team’s success did not end there.
- 1 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
On the same day, the youngsters entered the show jumping qualifier for the NSEA National Championships in both the 70 and 80cms classes.
They came second in the 70cms and qualified for the Championships, which are taking place in Addington, Buckinghamshire, in October.
Trainer of the King’s Ely equestrian team, Sue Cameron, said: “I’d like to congratulate Ryan, Ellie and George for their great riding at the All England Jumping Course in Hickstead.
“I wish them the best of luck for the National Championships in October.”