Emma is star of the show
WITH Ely having a rest on Saturday, Ely II carried the club honours in the under-11 competition at Burwell. Guest team Herne Bay Utd presented the day s first opposition. With goalkeeper Emma Gillett in good form, Herne were kept at bay and Ely went in 2-
WITH Ely having a rest on Saturday, Ely II carried the club honours in the under-11 competition at Burwell.
Guest team Herne Bay Utd presented the day's first opposition. With goalkeeper Emma Gillett in good form, Herne were kept at bay and Ely went in 2-0 at half-time with goals from Simon Thompson and Josh Taylor. A complete turnaround in fortunes for the second half saw Herne win 4-2.
Pulling themselves together from this blow, they then faced Peterborough, second in the league. Ely were 3-2 in front at half-time.
With good play from both teams in the second half and only two goals scored in the second half, Ely enjoyed a 4-3 win. Scorers were Simon Thompson (two) and Max Dunand (two).
Local rivals Cambridge always provide great opposition with results lately hinging on one goal either way. This time was different as Ely seemed tired in this match, probably from their exploits against Peterborough, and were 2-0 down at half-time.
Goals from Simon Thompson (two) and Aiden Cooper helped Ely's cause but, unfortunately, Cambridge scored four more to run out 6-3 winners.
- 1 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 2 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 3 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 4 Girl, 7, left heartbroken after beloved rabbits are stolen
- 5 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 6 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 7 Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 8 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 9 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 10 Princess Anne visits Wisbech's new Citizens Advice Bureau on Cambs trip
Ely's last game was against the Eastern Counties Mixed team. With both teams creating chances and both goalkeepers in good form, the score at half-time was surprisingly 0-0.
The second half saw more chances which were taken and suddenly Ely were 2-0 and then 3-1 down.
Ely would not lie down, however, and fought back hard to see the game finish with the score at 3-3.
Max Dunand scored all three Ely goals in what was probably the best game of the day.
Emma Gillett was named Ely's player of the day for her outstanding display in goal.