Emma is star of the show
WITH Ely having a rest on Saturday, Ely II carried the club honours in the under-11 competition at Burwell. Guest team Herne Bay Utd presented the day s first opposition. With goalkeeper Emma Gillett in good form, Herne were kept at bay and Ely went in 2-
WITH Ely having a rest on Saturday, Ely II carried the club honours in the under-11 competition at Burwell.
Guest team Herne Bay Utd presented the day's first opposition. With goalkeeper Emma Gillett in good form, Herne were kept at bay and Ely went in 2-0 at half-time with goals from Simon Thompson and Josh Taylor. A complete turnaround in fortunes for the second half saw Herne win 4-2.
Pulling themselves together from this blow, they then faced Peterborough, second in the league. Ely were 3-2 in front at half-time.
With good play from both teams in the second half and only two goals scored in the second half, Ely enjoyed a 4-3 win. Scorers were Simon Thompson (two) and Max Dunand (two).
You may also want to watch:
Local rivals Cambridge always provide great opposition with results lately hinging on one goal either way. This time was different as Ely seemed tired in this match, probably from their exploits against Peterborough, and were 2-0 down at half-time.
Goals from Simon Thompson (two) and Aiden Cooper helped Ely's cause but, unfortunately, Cambridge scored four more to run out 6-3 winners.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 4 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 7 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 8 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 9 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 10 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
Ely's last game was against the Eastern Counties Mixed team. With both teams creating chances and both goalkeepers in good form, the score at half-time was surprisingly 0-0.
The second half saw more chances which were taken and suddenly Ely were 2-0 and then 3-1 down.
Ely would not lie down, however, and fought back hard to see the game finish with the score at 3-3.
Max Dunand scored all three Ely goals in what was probably the best game of the day.
Emma Gillett was named Ely's player of the day for her outstanding display in goal.