Emily’s right on course!
ELEVEN-YEAR-OLD Emily Slater is set to compete for the chance to play in the World Junior Golf Championships. Emily, from Ely, will play the British Junior Championships tomorrow. She will compete over18 holes of a full size course at the world famous Bel
ELEVEN-YEAR-OLD Emily Slater is set to compete for the chance to play in the World Junior Golf Championships.
Emily, from Ely, will play the British Junior Championships tomorrow.
She will compete over18 holes of a full size course at the world famous Belfry Golf Club near Birmingham.
First place in the girls' under-12s category would see her secure a place on the plane to America to take on the world's top female juniors.
You may also want to watch:
Mum, Janette, said: "Myself and Emily's father both play golf and she got into it through us. She's been playing for about two years but she's only been in competitions since March. She has learnt really quickly and seems to have a natural gift. She's got a really great swing."
Emily fought her way through four qualifying rounds and picked up two runner-up trophies.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 9 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 10 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
She can drive 200 yards, but is still waiting for her first hole in one.
Mrs Slater said: "It's been really bugging her, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before she hits her first ace."
The World Championships take place in July next year.