Ely youngsters on top at league meet
ELY Sailing Club youngsters put on an excellent display in the second round of the Cambs Youth League held on Saturday at Roswell Pits.
Under 15 starlet Jack Knight sailed to a strong placing in his age group while Jack Camman scooped third place in the hotly-contested under 12 category.
Twenty three boats were entered for the event, hosted by Ely Sailing Club, and the boats were divided into three flights for the three starts during the day.
Thomas Proctor and Thomas Bryant from the Cam Club, both being under 12 helms sailing the smallest boats, optimists, had a successful day as did the topper helms Penny Wiesek from the Cam and Jack Cammann from Ely.
You may also want to watch:
Wiesek was the outright winner with two firsts and Thomas Proctor was runner up with a first and a two thirds. Jack Camman took third place with a second and fourth to count. The under 15 prizes went to Jack Knight and Jamie Cammann from Ely finishing seventh and ninth overall respectively. Jack sailed a laser radial and Jamie a topper. The top teams were Cam S.C. 7points, Ely SC with 16 points and Hunts SC with 24 points.
Meanwhile, on Sunday there was a light southerly breeze but a full programme of races were sailed. Simon Leeks was the most successful sailor winning all his races, he even borrowed an enterprise and with Commodore Gary Ungless as crew won the first enterprise class race.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 5 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 6 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 9 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 10 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
Pursuit race: 1. Simon Leeks. 2. Gary Ungless. 2. Jack Knight. 4. Kevin Bilham and Jamie Cammann.
Handicap race: 1. Simon Leeks. 2. Gary Ungless. 3. Kevin Bilham and Jamie Cammann. 4. Kevin and Christine Levett.
Enterpise class race one: 1. Simon Leeks and Gary Ungless. 2.Kevin Bilham and Jamie Cammann. 3. Suzie Sallis and Jo Board.
Race two: 1. Kevin Bilham and Jamie Cammannn. 2. Scott Bilham and Jack Cammann. �. Suzie Sallis and Jo Board.
Laser class race one.: 1. Jack Knight. 2. Phil Hardy. 3. Steve Board. 4. Kai Robbins.
Race two: 1. Phil Hardy. 2, Jack Knight. 3. Steve Board. 4. Kai Robbins.
Solo class race: 1. Simon Leeks. 2. Gary Ungless.