Ely youngster selected for Scotland youth squad
- Credit: Archant
Rugby Ely student Alan Gregory has been selected to play for the Scotland under 16s rugby squad.
Alan, who plays in the second row, was one of 26 players throughout the UK to qualify for the team following a trial at Lochinch in Glasgow on March 16.
He currently plays club rugby for Cambridge Rugby Club, where he was selected to further his development at the Northampton Saints Junior Academy.
He also trains throughout the school year at King’s Ely in the rugby performance squad and will play in the 1st XV from September.
The 16-year old, who measures in at more than six feet four inches tall, started playing rugby in King’s Ely Junior at the age of 11.
You may also want to watch:
In year 8, he joined Ely Tigers before moving across to the Cambridge, and it wasn’t long before he realised he had a natural talent for the sport. However, it was through hard work and dedication that Alan has progressed to become the player he is today.
Head of rugby at King’s Ely, Jason Billows, said: “Alan’s progress has accelerated quicker in the past 18 months than in any player I have been involved with. He has learnt to use his size effectively and his skill set is impressive for a lock-forward.” Scotland under 16 head coach, Gary Mercer, said: “We’ve selected an exciting squad with a lot of individual flair and talent. This is a great opportunity for those selected to play at a very competitive level.”
- 1 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 8 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 9 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 10 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
Over the Easter holidays, Alan will be attending further national training camps in Scotland. The squad will then travel to Wellington College, Berkshire for a home nations tournament.