Ely Win Seals Championship
ELY Ladies clinched the Cambs Premier Division title after cruising to a 4-0 win away at St Ives. Despite struggling to find their feet in the early stages against a gritty St Ives side, Ely soon clicked into gear and a series of well worked scores saw th
ELY Ladies clinched the Cambs Premier Division title after cruising to a 4-0 win away at St Ives.
Despite struggling to find their feet in the early stages against a gritty St Ives side, Ely soon clicked into gear and a series of well worked scores saw them pull away from the home side and ultimately seal the championship.
In a tempestuous opening period in which both teams were giving stern warnings from the umpires, Ely found themselves stretched by a determined home attack. Hannah Scotney's side managed to weather the storm however, and made the most of a short corner to steal the lead.
St Ives were clearly downcast by the breakthrough and Ely pressed home their advantage with some sweeping moves down both flanks. Gemma Voutt proved a particular menace down the right wing and it was her dribble and pass which sent Dani Fletcher clear to slot home.
You may also want to watch:
Ely all but sealed the match midway through the second half as Chanre Bond's virtuoso run sent her clear of the defence with time to spare before smashing home to make it 3-0.
The win was put beyond doubt late on as Voutt got on the end of a precision cross from Amanda Baxter to slide home into the bottom corner.
- 1 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 2 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 3 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 4 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 5 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 6 Burglar who was spared by judge stole from woman three days later
- 7 New youth centre could be built in Littleport
- 8 Environment Agency seize 52 illegal fishing devices from region’s rivers
- 9 East Cambridgeshire is ‘home to the noisiest neighbours in the country’
- 10 Care home still 'requires improvement'