Ely up to third spot
Cambs Ladies Premier League Ely Ladies I 3 Wisbech Ladies II 1 A DISCIPLINED Ely team found itself facing a lacklustre Wisbech side. They largely controlled the game and gave Wisbech little opportunity to develop any real attacking threats, while the ho
Cambs Ladies Premier League
Ely Ladies I 3
Wisbech Ladies II 1
A DISCIPLINED Ely team found itself facing a lacklustre Wisbech side.
You may also want to watch:
They largely controlled the game and gave Wisbech little opportunity to develop any real attacking threats, while the home side were always strong on the break.
It wasn't long before skilful centre-forward Chanre Bond drove into the D to score their first, and Jo Rayner added a second shortly afterwards with a crossed ball which deflected in off the inside of the goalkeeper's foot.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 8 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 9 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 10 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
Ely added their third goal earl in the second half when Ali Chapman slotted a short pass into an open net.
Ely were denied number four when the umpire failed to play an advantage in the D, and this could have been crucial as Wisbech rallied late in the second half.
Concerted pressure brought a penalty corner that was converted by Wisbech's player of the match Lou Sandall, and they came close to scoring twice more in a nail-biting finish. Ely held on to close the game out however, taking all three points which puts them third in the Premier League table.
Ely City I 7
March Town II 0
ELY faced March Town II at home in their first game following the Christmas break.
They started the game sluggishly, whereas the youthful March side consistently intercepted Ely's passes and looked the stronger team in the first half.
The hosts nevertheless broke through first with Chris Purlant sending a blistering short corner effort past the stranded March keeper, and although it remained 1-0 at the interval, captain Chris Vincett was disappointed with his side's performance.
He managed to lift the players, though, and within a few minutes of the restart Ely found themselves 3-0 up with further goals from Laurie Haslop and Joel Gilmour.
Purlant then added two in quick succession, with reverse stick strikes leaving the March keeper bemused on both occasions.
Grant Gilmour slotted home to make it 6-0 and Purlant completed the rout with his fourth goal of the game.