Ely triathlons are a triumph as hundreds turn out for city event
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of keen athletes ran, cycled and swam through Ely as they took part in Monster Racing’s triathlon double-header last weekend.
Over 400 athletes flocked to Cambridgeshire for the two events – a middle and standard triathlon – with the middle triathlon providing a test of a mile and quarter swim, 58 mile cycle and a 13 mile run, and the standard race comprising a swim of just under a mile, a 26 mile cycle and a seven-and a-half mile run.
Ely Cathedral provided a scenic backdrop as athletes first took to the River Ouse for the swim, before saddling up and hitting the flat Fen cycling course and finally running to the finish line near to King’s Ely.
The middle distance triathlon also served as the Eastern Region’s middle distance championship event, and Cambridge Triathlon star Andrew Diplock came out on top, finishing in an impressive time of four hours, 24 minutes and 47 seconds.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 8 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 9 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
- 10 Man found dead in March
1st: Andrew Diplock (Cambridge Triathlon Club)
2nd: Scott Wiseman (Ashford Tri Club), 4:26:11
3rd: Karl Free (Met Police Tri Club), 4:29:00.
1st: Dionee Allen (Team Ribble Cycles), 4hr 43min 47sec
2nd: Darrelle Parker (TRISUTTO), 5:00:07
3rd: was Vikki D’Arcy, 5:02:45.
1st: Timothy Murphy (Clapham Chasers), 2:19:00
2nd: Max Wolke (Clapham Chasers), 2:23:26,
3rd: Matthew Mcclure (Whizzy Tri Club), 2:25:29
1st: Verity Smith (Stowmarket & District Cycling Club), 2hr 35min 3sec
2nd: Juliet Vickery (Cambridge Triathlon Club), 2:35:17,
3rd: Kimberly Bell, 2:42:18.
Eastern Region Championship Middle Distance:
Senior Champions (20-39): Andrew Diplock (Cambridge Triathlon Club) and Suzy Knights (Beccles Triathlon Club).
Veteran Champions (40-54): Carl James and Lynn Emmett (Tri-Anglia).
Senior Veteran: Paul Lewis and Jill Larham (both Tri-Anglia).