Ely triathlons are a triumph as hundreds turn out for city event
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of keen athletes ran, cycled and swam through Ely as they took part in Monster Racing’s triathlon double-header last weekend.
Over 400 athletes flocked to Cambridgeshire for the two events – a middle and standard triathlon – with the middle triathlon providing a test of a mile and quarter swim, 58 mile cycle and a 13 mile run, and the standard race comprising a swim of just under a mile, a 26 mile cycle and a seven-and a-half mile run.
Ely Cathedral provided a scenic backdrop as athletes first took to the River Ouse for the swim, before saddling up and hitting the flat Fen cycling course and finally running to the finish line near to King’s Ely.
The middle distance triathlon also served as the Eastern Region’s middle distance championship event, and Cambridge Triathlon star Andrew Diplock came out on top, finishing in an impressive time of four hours, 24 minutes and 47 seconds.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 4 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
- 5 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 6 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 7 ‘Inspirational’ teacher, Esmeralda, honoured in national teaching awards
- 8 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 9 Platinum Jubilee: The Queen's visits to Cambridgeshire in pictures
- 10 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
1st: Andrew Diplock (Cambridge Triathlon Club)
2nd: Scott Wiseman (Ashford Tri Club), 4:26:11
3rd: Karl Free (Met Police Tri Club), 4:29:00.
1st: Dionee Allen (Team Ribble Cycles), 4hr 43min 47sec
2nd: Darrelle Parker (TRISUTTO), 5:00:07
3rd: was Vikki D’Arcy, 5:02:45.
1st: Timothy Murphy (Clapham Chasers), 2:19:00
2nd: Max Wolke (Clapham Chasers), 2:23:26,
3rd: Matthew Mcclure (Whizzy Tri Club), 2:25:29
1st: Verity Smith (Stowmarket & District Cycling Club), 2hr 35min 3sec
2nd: Juliet Vickery (Cambridge Triathlon Club), 2:35:17,
3rd: Kimberly Bell, 2:42:18.
Eastern Region Championship Middle Distance:
Senior Champions (20-39): Andrew Diplock (Cambridge Triathlon Club) and Suzy Knights (Beccles Triathlon Club).
Veteran Champions (40-54): Carl James and Lynn Emmett (Tri-Anglia).
Senior Veteran: Paul Lewis and Jill Larham (both Tri-Anglia).