Unbeaten league leaders toppled on momentous day for Ely Tigers
- Credit: Steve Wells
A rampant Ely Tigers inflicted a first defeat on the league leaders to end their nine-game unbeaten run.
Tigers opened the scoring against Holt, Jake Alsop converting a first half penalty in the London 3 Eastern Counties League at Cambridge Commodities Park on Saturday.
Ricky Neale then crossed over with Alsop adding the conversion to give Ely a 10-0 lead.
With the league frontrunners rocked, Neale scored again as the hosts went into half-time with a 17-0 advantage.
Both sides looked to gain the upper hand after the break, but it was Ely who put pressure on the Holt defence to push further towards the try line.
Tigers then won a lineout and pushed forward with Matt French going over to score; Alsop converted as Ely powered to 27-0 in front.
Holt did make their mark towards the end, Ollie Woodrow scoring after Tigers failed to clear, to make the final score 27-7.
- 1 Popular food and leisure hub plans win over planners
- 2 £4.8m loan to transform office block into flats repaid
- 3 Take a look inside £600,000 period home with 'outstanding charm'
- 4 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 5 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 6 Santas learn how to put the Ho Ho Ho into Christmas
- 7 New deadline for £6m crematorium decision
- 8 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 9 Here’s what you can expect at Ely Folk Festival 2022
- 10 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
Ely travel to Cambridgeshire rivals Wisbech in a league clash this Saturday, their final game of the year.