Ely win away at Fakenham with hard fought bonus point
- Credit: Archant
Ely lost the coin toss and the opponents started with the wind advantage.
The Tigers’ solid defence held Fakenham out for the first ten minutes as they were eager from the get-go.
The Tigers then forced their way back up the pitch against the wind. The ball was shipped to the backs from a successful Tigers’ line-out and Charlie Coupland cut a scything run straight through the centre of the opposition defence and touched down for a converted try.
A few minutes later Fakenham gained a penalty and opted to kick for the corner and failed to find touch.
Ely left it to bounce into touch and the opposition winger gave chase, toe poked the ball through and dived on it to score in the corner.
You may also want to watch:
Ely were then hounding the opposition defence again.
A gap opened for Grant Storey who darted through the defence and dived over the line for a converted try.
- 1 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 2 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
At the start of the second half the Ely forwards rumbled it up the pitch into the opposition twenty-two. Quick hands forced the ball wide to Luke Turner who sprinted in for a converted try.
In the final twenty the Tigers were desperate to get the bonus point win and were throwing the ball about wildly to no avail.
They finally scored when man of the match Jim Storey found space down the blindside to run in unscathed. Fakenham fought back and scored a consolation try in the last play of the game after Ely had two players sin binned for repeat infringements.
The final score was 28-12.