Ely win away at Fakenham with hard fought bonus point
- Credit: Archant
Ely lost the coin toss and the opponents started with the wind advantage.
The Tigers’ solid defence held Fakenham out for the first ten minutes as they were eager from the get-go.
The Tigers then forced their way back up the pitch against the wind. The ball was shipped to the backs from a successful Tigers’ line-out and Charlie Coupland cut a scything run straight through the centre of the opposition defence and touched down for a converted try.
A few minutes later Fakenham gained a penalty and opted to kick for the corner and failed to find touch.
Ely left it to bounce into touch and the opposition winger gave chase, toe poked the ball through and dived on it to score in the corner.
Ely were then hounding the opposition defence again.
A gap opened for Grant Storey who darted through the defence and dived over the line for a converted try.
- 1 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 2 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 3 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 4 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 5 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 6 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 7 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
- 8 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 9 Students ‘over the moon’ to receive letter from The Queen during project
- 10 Inclusivity at the heart of Dr Pip's goals ahead of Ely by-election
At the start of the second half the Ely forwards rumbled it up the pitch into the opposition twenty-two. Quick hands forced the ball wide to Luke Turner who sprinted in for a converted try.
In the final twenty the Tigers were desperate to get the bonus point win and were throwing the ball about wildly to no avail.
They finally scored when man of the match Jim Storey found space down the blindside to run in unscathed. Fakenham fought back and scored a consolation try in the last play of the game after Ely had two players sin binned for repeat infringements.
The final score was 28-12.