Ely Tigers roar to third win in three as they overcome Norwich Crusaders
- Credit: Archant
Ely Tigers remain hot on the tails of league leaders Wymondham after they gained a confident win over former league toppers Norwich Crusaders on Saturday.
The Tigers have now won all three of their Eastern Counties Greene King Division One games and they raced out of the blocks against Norwich, causing them to concede a penalty early on for hands in the ruck. Joel Scott Paul kicked the three points to set Ely on their way.
Ely continued to dominate with forward interplay and a maul collapsed near the opposition try line and man of the match Ricky Neale stormed over for a converted try.
In the second half, the Ely forwards forced their way back up the field, a quick ball was recycled and fast hands saw the ball go wide to David Bainsfair who touched down for a converted try.
The Crusaders began to fight back after gaining the wind advantage and some brave defending from the Tigers kept them from crossing the line. Ely then conceded a penalty for offside and Crusaders took three points as they sought a way back into the game.
You may also want to watch:
Ely couldn‘t seem to keep hold of the ball and Norwich forced the turnover at the ruck. They spun the ball to the wing and the Ely defence couldn‘t react quick enough to their counter attack.
Kevin Houghton sealed the win for Ely after a superb run saw him bounce off the last defender to touch down for an unconverted try.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 5 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 6 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 9 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 10 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
The final score at Downham Road was 25-10 to Ely, with the Tigers facing a trip to 5th placed Wisbech for their next fixture on Saturday 24th October.